Speaker size settings and Subwoofer

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
"My opinion is that the closer it is to one of the front speakers the better"

.....total agreement, Dan....our mains should be our pride and joy....when the new subs show up, the wifey-poo and kids should be handed a two day pass/stay at the local motel w/swimming pool and let you proceed to hear the things....when the honeymoon's over with the subs but/and you're stilled tickled you married both of 'em, back off the subs' volumes and use them close to your treasured mains to make the treasured mains sound like it's THEM going all the way to the bottom amazingly coming to life....in my opinion, two is best....Buck, where have I heard that before?....I quit.....

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I've tried every possible available place in my own room and the best place was indeed behind my couch. Originally, I had the center channel perched right on top of my sub...dead center. Then I moved it to to the left. I did the crawl test, RTA analysis and subjective listening tests with friends with the sub at the front, side, and rear of the room. The sub sounded best and provided the most oomph behind me. In fact, the sub provided at least twice as much (subjective) impact at the rear. It was like moving two upgrade models above what I already had.

The other benefit is now I can't even see the sub.....looks more wife friendly...it's a win-win situation. In fact, the wife didn't even notice the new sub....I now have a freedom to upgrade as I please :)

Also, with my sub, it was impossible to localize the sub no matter where it was placed, so the whole idea you need should put it in front so that the sound reaches you at the same time is not a factor. In fact, when I had my old sub unplugged at the front of the room, people actually thought that was the box generating all the bass. People were easily duped. I never would have thought to try the behind the seat position if it wasn't for the recommendations from Dr Hsu. Well, I'm a believer. It worked out way better than I could have imagined. Try it....I did...and it's staying there.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Well i guess this is where me and the doc part ways cuss mine stay'n up front by my mains? :eek:

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
All I am saying is...don't knock it till you tried it.

If you haven't tried it....then how do you know if the front location is best?

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....shoot, it's your money....nail 'em to your shoulders if you will....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Warpdrive, of course we speak only about what has worked for us or what is presently working for us....maybe we need to say "here's what works for me and why" or something....that other one was to Shokhead....good man, too....Clint, this board got a dog catcher?.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Warpdrive, in my opinion, based on experience of late....I have seen the merit of using subs to accent and support treasured mains....subs from behind in my opinion would accent the subs ability to stand as an almost solo act....sure it mixes in with the fronts and almost seems to be raining from the clouds on the fronts, but,....my mains are my pride and joy and their being supported to life is the best mine ear hath caught....all I know....gone....maybe....buy bonds......

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Hidog, your climbing the ladder of quality products from the XXXX LS-12 system was a good move, IMO....what seperates the main/front speakers to be chosen from in the last 10 years or so, and elevates them above anything XXXX has to offer, is their incredible "point"....happy listening ALL, but when blood begins to ooze from the ear openings, consider turning it down a bit?.....naaaaahhh, CRANK IT....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
......Spambot??....hahaha....shoot, call me Watermelon, who cares?.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....mild faceoff...to the powers that be....Gentlemen, the only thing that puts groceries on my table is driving locomotive consists from the phase two complex to either end of the outbound yard, and attaching them to 75-125 car cuts....then a van arrives to take us back to the bowl lunchroom that has a coffee pot, vending machines, and the helper brings a paper every day....it takes about 20 minutes to hang one, as we say, and hang about five in an eight hour shift and are rarely on the property after six hours....God has truly blessed and I am indeed fortunate....I am receiving no compensation whatsoever, in any way, from any viable business concern except the one that pays me to know the air setup on locomotive consists well....other companies....have only used their products and have a comment....I'll be especially careful to designate anything as, opinion only, from now on....please consider at some point changing that handle, which either suggests compensation, or trash, to, member, and leave it at that until the cows come home....I like to feel I've challenged a few minds to think along with me at times....the cabinets on the XXX XXX'X had little cracks in the top layer of about a millionth of an inch supposedly....it was reported by Tom the cracks would be filled and the subs would be painted a dull black that approaches shiny....I started calling relatives....Bob is going to make 5 pair a year and I'm getting one more pair and I'm done....oh yeah, I could sell this SoundKing wire I got left for ten thousand a foot....my problem has always been that I show up as a big friendly dog wanting to play too....thank you for your time spent in reviewing this statement.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis