B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
For 15.2 speaker setup using Denon 8500, I will only have 1 ceiling speaker. There will be 7 ear level speakers and 7 height speakers. How high should height speakers be mounted?
Room is 20x21 ft. Ceiling height 11 ft

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What "height" speakers are you using?
Both the speaker itself, and the corresponding channel assignments, please?
There are specific placement guidelines for successful Atmos installations and your post is a little confusing about what you are intending. :)

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
front speakers M&K 950s
all others except VOG are M&K tripoles
plan to set up the assignments as listed in 8500 instructions for 15.2 setup

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you do not already own the speakers, I would advise you to consider a more common monopole speaker for the elevation/height speakers. The extra dispersion of those "tri-poles" will likely muddy the soundstage and speakers like that are usually only recommended if they are going to be placed nearfield. On quick perusal of their site, I would say the m-50s will perform better in your room. (2¢)

OK, so as to the goals of your speaker placement:
Most content is Atmos, which if you choose to familiarize yourself with the Dolby Specs will give you some great info to work with. This 7.1.6 guide is probably the best for your consideration. Questionable would be the use of the Top-Mid speakers, and perhaps instead use Front Height (along with Top Front and Top Back).
This will depend largely on what options the Denon UI will allow you to activate and in which combination.
My Marantz will only allow specific combinations of Height and Atmos speakers, for example, and since the UI is largely the same as with your Denon, I would expect some similar shenanigans. ;)

Now, to your other aspect of the question:
Follow the instructions for setting your Height speakers if you are using Front Height and/or Rear Height as part of your x.x.6 arrangement. Dolby requires these to be a certain distance away from your Mains and Rear Surrounds so that the sound from one is distinguishable from the other.
For any Atmos speakers that you are mounting on the side walls instead of overhead, simply extend the placement of them laterally to the side wall and install as close to the ceiling as possible, ideally angled towards the listening position.

The important part of this upper level of speakers is that they maintain a reasonable separation from the Bed Layer of your speakers and from each other. If they are too close, the effect of the Bubble of Sound is disrupted. It is far more preferable to operate with less speakers in order to maintain the separation of channels than it is to jam as many speakers as possible into too small of a space!

Again, for effect:
It is far more preferable to operate with less speakers in order to maintain the separation of channels than it is to jam as many speakers as possible into too small of a space! ;)

Many people feel that 5.x.4 or 7.x.4 is more than adequate to achieve a very believable and enjoyable Atmos experience.
In these circumstances, it seems generally agreed upon that the Top Front and Top Back channels are the most important.
If you have the room to keep Top Middle, that would be preferable to Front Height. If you don't have the room, as I suggested before, I would look at front height as the next best option.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Thanks.
Since I did not know, I already own all of the speakers.
I will mount all of the height speakers as close to the ceiling as possible.
Waiting for the house to be built...still several months til done

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis