Speaker Setup Recommendations

C

cpmiller22

Enthusiast
Hi all, looking for some advice-

Moved into a new house and need some advice on sound setup. I’m going to put in a 75” TV, and want a decent setup for sound. Due to wife requirements I’ll need most speakers in the ceiling. I was thinking of doing 4 in the ceiling for front and rear, a center mounted under the TV, and a sub next to the couch. I have a pretty decent sub and receiver already. Two questions:
1). Any major concerns with this setup?
2). Any recommendations for in ceiling speakers?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
As most people here will tell you, in-ceilings are not optimal. Any chance you could swing the fronts as normal speakers (maybe bookshelves on stands) or in-walls if not? Using in-ceilings for the surround channels isn’t as bad

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
and want a decent setup for sound.

Due to wife requirements I’ll need most speakers in the ceiling. I was thinking of doing 4 in the ceiling for front and rear, a center mounted under the TV, and a sub next to the couch.

I have a pretty decent sub and receiver already. Two questions:
1). Any major concerns with this setup?
2). Any recommendations for in ceiling speakers?
You state you want "decent sound". Just throwing any speakers in the Ceiling doesn't automatically give decent sound for Home Theater. Yes you can get away with that for Back Ground Music, but not HT. To do Home Theater right take a really good Budget. (You haven't stated a budget)

I also suggest keeping your main L/C/R together either all in-ceilings or all in-walls

What decent Sub do you have???

Speakercraft Aim 8 Five

Triad

I also recommend Enclosures for your main speakers. (Added Cost)

Last edited:
C

cpmiller22

Enthusiast
I have a formula f-12 sub. I may be able swing in wall speakers, but likely not stand alone speakers. Alternatively I could go with all in ceiling speakers and a sub.

I know that in-ceiling is inferior to stand along speakers, as having a tuned enclosure makes a huge difference. Based on the home design/decoration requirements I just can’t win that battle right now :)

Budget wise, I don’t need super high end, and think I’ll be happy with 5.1 vs 7.1. It’s been a while since I’ve bought a new setup, so I’m still trying to figure out a budget.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I love that video. There's also an older and much longer version.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For any kind of speakers whether in-wall, in-ceiling, or standalone box speakers, I recommend the big brands - RBH, KEF, Monitor Audio, Revel, Dynaudio, Focal.

Like everyone says, unless you have absolutely no other options, I would do at least in-wall speakers for your front 3 speakers, preferably the main 5 "bed" speakers. Then put the 2 or 4 Atmos speakers in the ceiling.

C

cpmiller22

Enthusiast
If I can’t do in wall for the front, are there any soundbar options that would work well?

Also, my room is 14x17 with high ceilings so I’m a little worried that using in-ceiling speakers for the front and center won’t create an immersive sound experience.

Also, I’m pretty much a noob, so apologize in advance if any of my questions sound a bit amateurish to some of you pros out there.

Last edited:
C

cpmiller22

Enthusiast
I figured :)

So either in-wall or stand alone is gonna be my best option for good sound.

C

cpmiller22

Enthusiast
Fair point indeed on the budget. So any general guidance I how much I should be thinking about if I were to go with say 3 front in wall and 2 rear in ceiling of decent entry level quality speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis