Speaker setup question

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
I picked up a Yamaha RX-A720 receiver. I'm really liking everything about it. I now have the YPAO to help with setup, something my old Onkyo didnt have. Anyway, the receiver is a 7.2 and I'm using it as a 5.2. I was toying with setting up a couple more speakers. I can do front high or back. I am running front main, center and what the receiver says is side rear speakers. I was thinking about adding a set for the front high. Mainly because they are closet to the receiver and the wall is drywall. The rears will be more difficult to run and the wall is block. I also reasoned that the front would add more than the backs. My question is am I thinking correctly or am I just spending money on something that wont really make any differance? Thanks for any and all input.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
h2oyo,
In their literature, Yamaha calls front height speakers "Presence speakers" and I experimented with this feature on an older Yamaha AVR (RX-V659) as I transitioned from wall mounted bookshelfs to towers.
- I did not find presence speakers compelling enough to keep them as part of my theater system - YMMV.
- FWIW: Yamaha Presence is a DSP artifically created sound channel, not resident on the source material (DVD, Bluray, Dolby, DTS, etc.)--unlike what will eventually exist for Dolby Atmos (and other equivalents).

If you already have the extra speakers, give it a try; if not, I would not recommed spending a whole lot to investigate Presence.

Cheers,
XEagledriver

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for your reply. I wont think about this any farther. I was afaid it would work like that and I use straight most of the time because I like the bass and sometimes I just like to hear what the two fronts can do and use pure direct. I dont have a lot to compare to but the HSU bookshelf speakers really sound very good to me, and have a pretty good bass sound also but need the subwoofer to really fill things out.
Thanks
Johan

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis