Speaker set up, amps, Receivers, and more.

T

The bass cave

Audiophyte
Calling all audiophiles,

Firstly i would like to say that i am a college student on a budget, so please remember that when suggesting things to purchase.

Ok so about 6 years ago i purchased an Onkyo sound system, it is a 5.1 with 660 watts i can pull up the model but i don't think it's important. I also have a polk PSW10 sub which is nice that i replaced the sub that came with the Onkyo system. This has been nice for the past 6 years but i need more of a mid punch and a cleaner bass. I mean i love my Polk audio but i feel like i need either more power or something slightly smaller because it's not very crisp. For example it is great for drum and bass and anything with smooth bass lines, but the second it becomes like techno or anything punchy, it sounds almost like it has a delay in it and it doesn't punch that hard.

Anyways I wanted to purchase new speakers and found some Klipsch KG5.5 second hand and all of the reviews were super positive so i thought about buying an amp for them with volume controls and then buying a split aux jack and wiring it to my sound system and my two klipsch speakers.

But then i started thinking, would it be better to buy an amp and a mixer and just amp all of the channels from the mixer? I don't know a lot about mixers but i know that they pretty much just like manage a channels volume and EQ and sometimes other things depending on the mixer. But I also know that they are like mainly used for recording? So im pretty confused but i know there is a way to like hook up all of my speakers, or at least i hope there is!

If anyone could please just give me some guidance in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian

T

The bass cave

Audiophyte
Also now that i think about it, should i even get the two Klipsch loudspeakers? I mean they hav egreat reviews and im sure are really nice but they are the same size as the sub i have now. So if im looking for something with more punch should i look for like 8's? Or do i just need more power behind the sub?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You kinda sorta need a new system. But to go with that, you're gonna need a budget and a living situation that allows for Home Theater. If you have roommates and/or shared walls, there's a severe limit on how much Home Theater you can put in a room, without it leaking to your neighbors. And there is no cheap or DIY solution to fix that.

You may be better off starting a speaker fund (whatever you do, don't get married! ;- ) and saving it for when your situation allows a few thousand to get you what you really want!

T

The bass cave

Audiophyte
:( hmmmmmmm thats what i figured you would say. Ok that aside would there be a noticable difference between the two Kplisch speakers and the onkyo system i have now? If i run a 600 watt amp to the two Klipsch, which i think is more than enough, would that be louder and cleaner than my current system?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It sounds like this Onkyo 'system' is an HT in a Box? Throw out a model number, cause this might not even be compatible with other speakers...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis