Speaker Set Up Advice

S

Steelyfan

Audiophyte
I will be moving from my current home to a new place for the next 2 years. This is going to be a rented place, which means I cannot take any long term measures.

I need advice on speaker placement (floor standing - Focal Kantas) , along with anything that I can look at doing in terms of putting up acoustic panels to improve the sound.

The listening area ( the living room) is open on one side to a balcony and then flows on the other side to the dining area.
The floor plan is attached.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks.
Yes 2 ch. audio only. No video.

Will read.
That big glass wall will likely be biggest issue. If the speakers are on either the left or right wall, one speaker will have direct reflections from the glass. Going just by the floor plan (not knwoing where the doorways are), I would try to have the speakers against the balcony wall as far out as you can. The challenge there is getting wires run to the one speaker that will be far away from the system components.

S

Steelyfan

Audiophyte
That big glass wall will likely be biggest issue. If the speakers are on either the left or right wall, one speaker will have direct reflections from the glass. Going just by the floor plan (not knwoing where the doorways are), I would try to have the speakers against the balcony wall as far out as you can. The challenge there is getting wires run to the one speaker that will be far away from the system components.
Thanks. The glass wall for the balacony is more a window which I can keep open - so as to keep the glass out of play ( or atleast most of it) and hence.minimal reflections, and if it is closed have the curtains. Would that help ?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. The glass wall for the balacony is more a window which I can keep open - so as to keep the glass out of play ( or atleast most of it) and hence.minimal reflections, and if it is closed have the curtains. Would that help ?
Curtains can help a little but will affect mostly the mids and upper frequencies, depending upon how thick they are and if they have a backing layer. Thin curtains will likely have little impact. Acoustics can be tricky stuff. You want some reflections from the sides but reduced reflections from the floor (if, say, you have ceramic tile). If the speakers face away from the balcony, that also means your seating position will face the windows and if you have a nice view that could also be consideration. Try and look at the room from various perspectives and see if both speakers will have similar amounts of reflection from the sides and whether you can move them away from the wall to experiment wither speaker positioning after the system is hooked up. There will be a little trial and error to get things right if you have a critical ear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis