Speaker sensitivity

K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I was just looking over the stats of me front three speakers yesterday, and noticed that the sensitivity of the mains is different that the center channel. &nbsp;The mains have a sensitivity of 91dB, and the center is 89dB. &nbsp;
To put it simply, my understnading is that the higher the sensitivity of a speaker, the louder it will play. &nbsp;If I'm wrong, someone please let me know!

So here's the question. &nbsp;Given all the discussion around here lately about timbre matching, is it important to match the sensitivity of speakers in a 5 or 7 channel set-up so that some don't sound louder than others? &nbsp;Any comments or clarifications will be welcome
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
<font color='#000000'>As long as they are from the same series and manufacturer, you can prety much be assured that timber matching is taken care of.

As far as that sensitivity thing, different configurations can have a different sensitivity. &nbsp;It's possible that the center and the mains are matched yet have different sensitivity ratings due to the cabinet sizes. &nbsp;

You should be able to set the levels for each channel through your receiver using hte test tones generally supplied. &nbsp;A SPL level meter helps here.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis