Speaker recommendations

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
Hello,

I am looking at a completely new 5.1 setup, I would like to keep the cost of my 5 speakers fairly close to $2,500 or under. I am not set on towers or book shelves, I want something that sounds good for movies as well as 2 channel music. Any recommendations are welcome, I am probably going to be looking at something like Pioneer elite SC-LX502 for a receiver or something around that price range. Between the speakers and receiver that will be about $4,000 which will leave me around $1,000 for a sub woofer. Again, I am not really set in stone on anything, I would love to be able to have a setup that sounds amazing for less than that total, it is the maximum that I am willing to spend.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tell us a little about your room:
Length x width x height.
How far away will your LP be?

2500 and 1000 for speakers and sub respectively is pretty good. If at all possible, consider being prepared to stretch the sub budget a little... maybe... we can discuss when we learn about your room a little. :)

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Hello,

I am looking at a completely new 5.1 setup, I would like to keep the cost of my 5 speakers fairly close to $2,500 or under. I am not set on towers or book shelves, I want something that sounds good for movies as well as 2 channel music. Any recommendations are welcome, I am probably going to be looking at something like Pioneer elite SC-LX502 for a receiver or something around that price range. Between the speakers and receiver that will be about $4,000 which will leave me around $1,000 for a sub woofer. Again, I am not really set in stone on anything, I would love to be able to have a setup that sounds amazing for less than that total, it is the maximum that I am willing to spend.
$2K for speakers and $1.5K for subs would be a better split depending on the room size and number of seating positions. It would allow for a pair of good subs.

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
My room is 20’ X 30’, I have a 120” projector screen on the 30’ wall, it is about 8’ off center because my multimedia PC sits left of my projector screen.

I had the following but sold them to build my new system:
Polk rti10, csi-a4, fxi-a4, a deNon in command I bought in 2010..

I prefer MCACC to audacity, the Polk rti 10’s seemed to have a huge gap in the mid range. I could never make them sound like I wanted.

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
Today I am going to listen to the B&W 600 series speakers with a pioneer elite receiver. I am not sure what else they have at this store, we will see when I get there. It is called Harry’s hifi in Regina SK Canada.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi... be careful with the b&ws... some people like them, but I think you can find better for the coin. My own audition was extremely disappointing. If anything, check out Canadian brands PSB and Paradigm (I think). Also, Monitor Audio is imported for all of NA through Canada. They are very worth looking into. The Bronze line is very good intro level, but if you can step up to the Silvers, even better.
For that size room, you will definitely want to consider two subs. This will even out the bass response across more seats, especially if you take the time to set them up properly rather than just throwing them on the front wall or corner loading them
Regardless, just be smart shopping for your speakers. I’ve seen a lot of people say they loved those 600s in-store only to buy, get home and be disappointed. I found their bass to be lacking compared to other brands... and to be honest, I have a difficult time considering a tower that doesn’t hit at least mid 30Hz.

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
I didn’t make it in to hear them, next week. I wish I could listen to more systems, not really many hifi stores around here. I will look up the speakers you suggested. I am not in a hue rush either, I can wait for stuff to come on sale.

As far as bass from my mains, I prefer having the sub play everything below 60hz anyway. I find receiver amps perform better when they don’t have to push the lower frequencies.

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
Those silver 300’s are stretching my range a bit, if I could find them for even a couple hundred off, that would be nice. The look awesome and the reviews are great, I wonder how much better than the silver 200’s they are. 300’s are 3 way, 300’s are 2 way.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those silver 300’s are stretching my range a bit, if I could find them for even a couple hundred off, that would be nice. The look awesome and the reviews are great, I wonder how much better than the silver 200’s they are. 300’s are 3 way, 300’s are 2 way.
I felt that the Silver 500s were only marginally better than the 300s. I was greatly impressed by both speakers. I personally am a fan of 3-way designs over 2- or 2.5- way designs. Having a mid range driver just helps the overall performance assuming good crossover design is employed. In my research, I saw no indication that there was any problem with the 300s. ;) In fact, they migt have been one of the best reviewed speakers I looked at, with nothing bad being written about them.
If you get a chance to listen... you should do it! Maybe if you show up ready to play (assuming you like what you hear, you can get them to come down a bit. ;)

Keep us posted! And please ask about other gear if there's anything we can help you out with... we Will!

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
I keep seeing stellar reviews for the Emotiva airmotiva line of speakers, specifically I saw them compared to the Monitor silver series. They scored almost as well but they were so much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with this line?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I keep seeing stellar reviews for the Emotiva airmotiva line of speakers, specifically I saw them compared to the Monitor silver series. They scored almost as well but they were so much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with this line?
I was very interested in their speakers, but at the time I was shopping, only 1 review was out... that Sterophile review is new. I will point out that the newer MA Silver 300 and 500 towers are generally considered an improvement over the older generation (s8, s10).
I've heard there are many happy and content Airmotiv owners out there. It seems to be a fan favorite over at the other forum, too.
Regardless, that's the fun part... researching, learning, and hopefully auditioning the speakers! Finding the best bang for your money, and getting to experience it for years down the line!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I'm a big fan of Aperion's Verus II speakers. You can get a 5-ch bookshelf set there for ~ $2200, or even $1800 if you use the Intimus series for the surrounds (which should be fine). Pair that with a sub from Hsu or SVS and you'll have a really nice system for the money. Aperion has a great customer service approach and free shipping both ways so you can try the speakers out in your home and send them back if you aren't happy.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
If you haven't already take a look at RSL speakers as well as GoldenEar. My L/C/R, Sub and surrounds are GoldenEar. I just recently installed the RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers. I wish I would have found the RSL sooner. Good luck!

J

JayKay138

Audiophyte
Well I pulled the trigger on a few things, there was an open box sale I just couldn’t pass up. This is Canadian pricing by the way.

I got a pair of Polk lsim 703 book shelf speakers for $999.99. And a Marantz 7009 for 659.00. That receiver was close to 2k here new. My home theatre uses a 1080p projector anyway.

If I find a better speaker system for my theatre I’ll move those upstairs for zone 2. More than likely I’ll fill out the lsim series and look for a pair of towers for up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis