Speaker Recommendations with Kids

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I currently have a surround setup with three RBH 515e LCR speakers in the front and two RBH 5 speakers in the rear. I love the front “mini-towers” on stands but we now have a kid and they are very top heavy on stands. I fear they will be knocked off the stands very easily and pose a risk to our kid once they start crawling and running.

Does anyone have recommendations for speakers that are a little more kid safe? Ideally a bookshelf speaker that isn’t as tall that I can anchor to a stand and maybe then anchor the stand somehow so it can’t tip? Or maybe I just go wall mounted speaker or soundbar.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Maybe get a home audio/video Entertainment center cabinet type. My youngest Son had that same issue. Got a cabinet type center put his speakers up ear leave, TV and center channel surround speaker he mounted on the wall. He had 3 lil munchies running around, throwing things all over as they do, fingerprints all over the T V screen.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Use subwoofers as speaker stands. Your kid is unlikely to topple a well-built sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use subwoofers as speaker stands. Your kid is unlikely to topple a well-built sub.
How about how much of a beating the sub driver can take? When I was four I punched a hole in one of my dad's large paper cone speakers....he went back to mono after that for a while.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How about how much of a beating the sub driver can take? When I was four I punched a hole in one of my dad's large paper cone speakers....he went back to mono after that for a while.
Down-firing subs for the win!

S

Space2013

Audioholic
No one is jumping on the soundbar bandwagon, which I didn’t want to do either, so that reinforces me going with speakers.

Unfortunately I don’t have room for subwoofers on both sides otherwise I would use them as speaker stands.

I could get bookshelf speakers that are wall mountable.

Do any companies make speakers that actually have anchors into speaker stands? Or do they all just sit on top of stands?

I do think I have to find a speaker that’s a bit shorter. The RBH 515e vertical MTM speakers are just very tippy. I’ll save them for when the kids are older.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Yes, all InRoom Triad speakers have a hole on the bottom designed to connect to the company's pedestals. The pedestals can be filled with play sand for increased stability. We often use cat litter for our clients because it's easier to source. :)

www.triadspeakers.com

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Children grow up fast. I have been through two rounds of toddlers in this house and had to use some extra efforts to make it work. I turned my speakers drivers around toward the wall when not in use. If they would have been on stands, I would have set them on the floor and backwards against the wall when not in use. I used to put my speakers away completely, if other people's kids were going to be here for bday parties. Not everything worth doing needs to be permanently installed and convenient. There are ways to handle both.

P

PaulJoseph

Audiophyte
I have a 2 year old. I purchased a pair of used bookshelves to put in the room he is in most often and is most active in. These are meant to be expendable should he get violent with them. Decoys for the more permanent speakers squirted away upstairs.

in my living room I built a gate/cage around the front stage. I think the sub is the most vulnerable. Down firing would have been a good choice.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Here is a similar forum post from the Brits

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis