Speaker recommendations to not buy

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just because they’re expensive doesn’t mean they’re good. What speakers from reputable and expensive manufacturers are complete duds? Not everyone has time to audition speakers or can find speakers in a good place to audition, so what are some to completely avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Everybody here knows
You're not suppose
To buy that brand Bose!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I won’t say that there are a lot of “bad” speakers, but I can’t see how the price can be justified for some of what is out there. I try to theorize what the bill of materials might be, assuming even premium drivers. Most of the cost seems to be borne by the cabinetry, and of course markup. And I respect that for master cabinet makers, although I personally don't mind the "big box" look as long as it functions the same as "furniture grade".

So when I see a slim tower (even a bookshelf at times!) with a 6” woofer and a tweeter going for over $10k/pair, I can’t wrap my brain around it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have no idea how they sounded but they're just bizarre looking and wouldn't buy them on that basis alone :)
grand teton.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I won't name any names, but it rhymes with Tilson and is associated with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Ha!
Wanted to hear them some day, but not to buy! :p would rather drop a cool mil' on some property here in the Bay Area. If I had it.
Would almost rather check out Oregon for that... maybe only have to plop down .5. Whadya Say Lovin? Can a guy get a good home up there at a reasonable price? ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ha!
Wanted to hear them some day, but not to buy! :p would rather drop a cool mil' on some property here in the Bay Area. If I had it.
Would almost rather check out Oregon for that... maybe only have to plop down .5. Whadya Say Lovin? Can a guy get a good home up there at a reasonable price? ;)
You'd have a pretty sweet property in my area for that kind of money, even get some land. This isn't far from my place....https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/49192-Mountain-View-Rd-Oakridge-OR-97463/48428902_zpid/

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ultralinear Speakers from the 80s. A house brand throw in at certain stereo stores that were neither Ultra nor Linear. And yes I did hear them.:)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ultralinear Speakers from the 80s. A house brand throw in at certain stereo stores that were neither Ultra nor Linear. And yes I did hear them.:)
With those, you'd better be without a cat because he would chew on the protrusions! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Dang ! You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. I love these things.
It isn't that they don't sound GREAT. They are AWESOME.
But, they may cost too much for the average home owner given all the tweeter mods.
Dude, don't rip on those. Those are Audioholics forum classics. Worth every penny and then some.
Yep. Highs like SSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
That was some fun.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis