Speaker Recommendation Please!

D

DPRII

Audiophyte
Looking to go with the Marantz SR6015 to power a 5.2.4 home theater with two SVS SB-1000s for low frequency. The room size is 18.5’ x 19.5’. With 9' ceilings for about 3,246 cubic feet. For the remaining speakers I’m looking at the following configurations;

LCRs - three Bowers & Wilkins Reference Series CWM7.4 S2
Surrounds – two Bowers & Wilkins Performance Series CWM652
Atmos – four Bowers & Wilkins Performance Series CCM664SR

LCRs – three Revel W893
Surrounds – two Revel W763
Atmos – four Revel C363DT

LCRs - three Monitor Audio CP-IW260X
Surrounds - two Monitor Audio W280-IDC
Atmos – four Monitor Audio C280

LCRs - three Focal 300 IW6
Surrounds - two Focal 300 IW 6
Atmos – four Focal 100 IC 6-ST

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any additional recommendations!

media room size.jpg

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Looking to go with the Marantz SR6015 to power a 5.2.4 home theater with two SVS SB-1000s for low frequency. The room size is 18.5’ x 19.5’. With 9' ceilings for about 3,246 cubic feet. For the remaining speakers I’m looking at the following configurations;

LCRs – three Revel W893

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any additional recommendations!

View attachment 43372
Skip the Revels. Focal, Monitor or B&W would be great. If you can bump up to the 7.3 S2’s you won’t be disappointed. I have the 7.3’s in my theater. They are amazing.

you can use the Marantz for surrounds and Atmos speakers. I would get a 3 channel amp for LCR. Bump that SVS up to the 2000 pro x2. BOOM that room will be rocking!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Get these ^

And up your subwoofer game to the PB-2000 Pro's

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Skip the Revels. Focal, Monitor or B&W would be great. If you can bump up to the 7.3 S2’s you won’t be disappointed. I have the 7.3’s in my theater. They are amazing.

you can use the Marantz for surrounds and Atmos speakers. I would get a 3 channel amp for LCR. Bump that SVS up to the 2000 pro x2. BOOM that room will be rocking!
Why skip the Revels? I am guessing they are at least as good as the others. To be honest, the B&Ws are the ones I would be the most iffy on.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

LCRs – three Revel W893

View attachment 43372
If you want to get some truly good in-walls and save some money, look at the THX Monolith series. If you like to spend a lot of money but still want some good in-walls, look at the KEF THX series.

I don't see a good place to mount in-wall surrounds in a 5.1.4 set up in that room. The reason is that they can not be aimed to face your listening position, since you would want to mount them the corner of the room. I would take regular bookshelf speakers and wall mount them in the room corners to face the listening position. I think there is a chance that the sound system will be a bit goofy since you have so much emphasis on the Atmos height channels but not the bed layer which is so much more important. You might just think about skipping height speakers entirely.

Also, like others have said, those subs are real weak sauce compared to the rest of your system. You should upgrade your subs. SVS has much better subs in higher lines. I also recommend looking at subs from Outlaw Audio, Hsu Research, Monoprice Monolith, Paradigm Defiance. Maybe also JTR subs if your budget is flexible.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Having used GoldenEar for a while, I would consider the following setup

Ceiling Speakers & In Wall Speakers: Invisa Series | GoldenEar Technology

LRC - SPS3 - Goldenear Invisa Signature Point Source In-Wall Speaker Preview | Audioholics
Surrounds - Invisa MPX
Atmos - Invisa HTR 7000

Even though I am switching over to Paradigm Personas, I am keeping my 7000s for Atmos, and for an in-wall solution I think you will find the SPS3s to be an upgrade from those you suggested. Please note that the list prices may be higher, but most dealers will discount off list prices ~15-20% I like the Atmos Invisa 7000 with the angled tweeter makes positioning a snap.

Designing Atmos Systems | GoldenEar Technology

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Why skip the Revels? I am guessing they are at least as good as the others. To be honest, the B&Ws are the ones I would be the most iffy on.
Why do you think B&W 7.3’s are iffy?

i just think Revel In-walls are over priced. Nothing against their floor standing speakers. When I was doing my research to replace my in-walls, which as you can see from my comment above, I went with B&W. I researched everything, pretty much everything this person listed I looked at, at some point over the year I spent digging on in-walls. Couldn’t find a damn thing on revel in-walls. Compared to plenty of people that owned or heard Monitor, Focal, etc..

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why do you think B&W 7.3’s are iffy?

i just think Revel In-walls are over priced. Nothing against their floor standing speakers. When I was doing my research to replace my in-walls, which as you can see from my comment above, I went with B&W. I researched everything, pretty much everything this person listed I looked at, at some point over the year I spent digging on in-walls. Couldn’t find a damn thing on revel in-walls. Compared to plenty of people that owned or heard Monitor, Focal, etc..
B&W's have always had an erratic response. The Revels are much more likely to be an accurate loudspeaker since they usually aim for flat response on and off axis as a brand.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some like the B&W "sound" particularly of their flagship lines, seems many don't outside of that.....personally from what I've heard of the 6 series, I'd agree. Not on my list....ever really due pricing.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Paradigm Prestige series or their Premier are worthy choices worth considering as well.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
B&W's have always had an erratic response. The Revels are much more likely to be an accurate loudspeaker since they usually aim for flat response on and off axis as a brand.
I can tell you that I have none of the above issues with my B&W speakers. They kick ass and sound amazing with movies, TV and music. To me, they were well worth the price.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Some like the B&W "sound" particularly of their flagship lines, seems many don't outside of that.....personally from what I've heard of the 6 series, I'd agree. Not on my list....ever really due pricing.
Yeah, I've heard that too. The 6 series is definitely their "cheaper" series. I know 7 series has mixed reviews. Some love them to death while others just think they're meh. But the 8 series just shines. The 800 D3 in my opinion is one of the best speakers I've ever heard. I'm putting that up against the KEF Blades. I thought the Blades sounded ok compared to the 800 D3's. Both systems were being powered by McIntosh 1.2kw amps. So plenty of juice for both. I just preferred the sound of the B&W over the Blades. I would like to demo some Martin Logan Neolith speakers. Has anyone on here been able to listen to those?

D

DPRII

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for the guidance. What about these options?

QTYMakeModelPosition
3RevelW893LCR
2RevelW763Surrounds
4RevelC583Atmos

or

QTYMakeModelPosition
3GoldenEarInvisa Signature Point Source (SPS)LCR
2GoldenEarInvisa MPXSurrounds
4GoldenEarInvisa HTR 7000Atmos

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You keep posting speakers without Back Boxes. Back Boxes are crucial in in wall installations the GoldenEar's do have an option for back boxes as did the Monitor Audios. The speaker that you have absolutely overlooked and given them no attention are the Triads that I posted

Just because you spend $3,000+ for your front three speakers doesn't mean they are going to sound good. You'd hate to cut holes in your walls spend the money and they sound like Shiit

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis