Z

zero83

Audiophyte
OK, I have a complete 5.1 set-ip. Whenever I play a 2.0 movie or game however, it seems lik e the left, and center speaker are one and the same. I can distinguish the right speaker, and once in a while the left speaker, but most of the time, it appears that hte center ,and left main are combines, and almost nothing come out of the left. I switch to basic stereo, and it is ok so I know it is hooked up OK. Is there any way I can leavfe it on basic surround and still have a 2.0 source where I can distinguish what sound is comming out of the left/rght? Any fixes?

P.S. I have a small KLH sat for me center, and 2 sony towers for my mains. I am using a sony 5.1 reciever as well.

Please help

Thanks
-Zero

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
zero,
tell me what you are using for your media source and what cables you are connecting the with. Which Sony receiver do you have?

Z

zero83

Audiophyte
for a source, it is an anime movie encoded in 2.0 stereo sound, I am using standard speaker wire, and as for the reciever model, it is STR-DE475

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you are hearing sound out of the center speaker, then you must have a surround mode engaged (you said it works properly in stereo mode). So what mode are you using?

If you are using Prologic II Movie then the center should get an equal mix of left and right (it's not adjustable). If it sounds like the left speakers is dominant, it could just be the way the system is calibrated; ie it is not calibrated properly and the level of the left speaker is much greater than the center and/or right. If that is the case, then get a calibration disc (avia or dve) and an SPL meter and calibrate so that each channel is roughly equal or at a minimum use the receiver's internal test tones and attempt to do it by ear.

Surround modes like PLII Music allow you to set certain parameters like Center Width and Dimension and those settings may also affect the sound you perceive.

I would bet it's the calibration and the left channel trim is much higher than the others.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis