speaker position question

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
unfortunately due to my room lay out i have to put my left main speaker in the corner(about a foot away... i know, bad idea) any way to combat this problem ???? my front speakers have a side firing powered and passive sub that shoot outward... what about switching the speakers so they fire inward?? i tried it... may sound better. what do you guys think???

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Can you give us a quick drawing in paint? Alot of people do not have Ideal rooms yet they still get the sound to be consistant.

SheepStar

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
sorry... im not sure how to draw on this thing yet.... the right main has plenty of space on the right(not close to a sidewall), but the left is stuck in the corner...speakers are about seven feet away from each other and my seating position is about 11 feet away.. left speaker puts out a lot more base(i assume because of the corner) it also drops about a decible on a spl meter during test tones(probably because of the sidewall it runs along).. so basicaly the left is a little week in the treble and a little overwhelming in the base....by the way...both speakers are about a foot away from the backwall. what about the side firing subs in the mains????? i know they are suppose to face away from each other but under these circumstances should they face each other(so the base dosent go right against the wall)????? each main has a base contour knob on the back.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
shamus said:
sorry... im not sure how to draw on this thing yet.... the right main has plenty of space on the right(not close to a sidewall), but the left is stuck in the corner...speakers are about seven feet away from each other and my seating position is about 11 feet away.. left speaker puts out a lot more base(i assume because of the corner) it also drops about a decible on a spl meter during test tones(probably because of the sidewall it runs along).. so basicaly the left is a little week in the treble and a little overwhelming in the base....by the way...both speakers are about a foot away from the backwall. what about the side firing subs in the mains????? i know they are suppose to face away from each other but under these circumstances should they face each other(so the base dosent go right against the wall)????? each main has a base contour knob on the back.
.....Shamus, the only thing we could do if we were there would be to try stuff just like you're doing....try it every way you can think of adhering to basic principles....you know what you're doing....report back.....

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
shamus said:
...the right main has plenty of space on the right(not close to a sidewall), but the left is stuck in the corner...speakers are about seven feet away from each other and my seating position is about 11 feet away...
I can think of a couple of ideas, but since I can't see your room layout, only you will be able to determine whether or not they are feasible:

1. Since there's plenty of space on the right but not the left, why not move both speakers (and therefore the listening position too) by the same amount to the right, making them equidistant from the side walls?.

2. You indicate that your front mains are approximately one foot from the wall behind them. If you increase this distance, you should find that the bass will drop, and the clarity potentially increase. Remember; ideally, the listening position should be 1 to 1.5 times the distance between your speakers, from your speakers, and closer to 1 times, so with a current distance of 11 feet, you have enough room to lose a foot or two.

3. Adjust the bass contour knob. ;)

Regards

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
i could probably pull them out a bit...but for shifting them left and right can not be moved...i will just mess with the base contour and test the differences in pointing the side firing subs outward and inward...(i guess i was on the right track after all!!!!) thanks again

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Another option but it may not be viable

shamus said:
i could probably pull them out a bit...but for shifting them left and right can not be moved...i will just mess with the base contour and test the differences in pointing the side firing subs outward and inward...(i guess i was on the right track after all!!!!) thanks again
Do you have the capabilty of switching off the the built in subs on these speakers and buying yourself a sub woofer that you can locate elsewhere in the room? I know its more money, and you aren't using the full resources of the speakers you have now. But its just a thought.

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
yes i can switch off the subs in the speakers.... but i think i lose too much middle that way..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis