G

Grimis

Junior Audioholic
The following is for a stereo set up... it will not be a HT room. The room is quite large and is for entertaining.
Is it better for the speaker to be placed in the corner facing the middle of the room OR to be placed 2 feet from the corner and facing the middle?
Thanks

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on the size of the room and speaker FR. The difference will be minimal to major. The best option is to do some in room FR analysis using the speakers.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
having the speakers in the corner will increse bass responce, if that's 'better' or not is up to personal tast.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Grimis said:
The following is for a stereo set up... it will not be a HT room. The room is quite large and is for entertaining.
Is it better for the speaker to be placed in the corner facing the middle of the room OR to be placed 2 feet from the corner and facing the middle?
Thanks

Do you have a choice between the 2 choices? Can these two locations be tested after installation? That would be the best, hard to predict without better predictors:D

Is this also for serious listening or just part of entertaining? :)

G

Grimis

Junior Audioholic
entertaining... I will be able to move the speakers between the two spots... only difference will be a speaker wire that will be more visible

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
Can you post pics so we can see what you mean better?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Grimis said:
entertaining... I will be able to move the speakers between the two spots... only difference will be a speaker wire that will be more visible

If it is primarily for entertaining, just pick a spot and go for it, not to worry. When you are entertaining, you are more interested about your friends than the absolute quality of the music, right?
Another alternative is to have two outlets for the speaker wires, a nice audio wall plate that would look very professional.

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
Hi Grimis,

This can be very room-specific. In fact, it can be everything-else-in-the-room-specific. As said bass will be augmented by placing loudspeakers in corners. But rooms have standing waves, and yours is large (how large?) Standing waves can be serious and cancel bass augmentation effects of corner placement depending on where you are. Also for stereo image you can have the loudspeakers too far apart and have the well-known "hole-in-the-middle". You will need to tests this ... and your findings will probably change with people in the room!

If your set-up is only for entertaining then I would think it does not greatly matter. Folks will wander all over the place; there will be better and poorer positions, and frankly I wonder if they will notice. But if you will on occasion also like to (seriously) listen on your own, forget about the people and set up the loudspeakers for that. As said above regarding people .......

[I have never found corner positions good for stereo imaging. It has to do with the adjacent walls' reflection effect especially at high frequencies, sort of "smearing" the source and generating vagueness - a topic on its own.]

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis