K

Krisso

Enthusiast
Im trying to install a 7.1 speaker system and need a little advise on where to place the speakers on the walls.
I had a look at the 7.1 speaker setup in the "HT Speaker Layout" section on this site but noticed the couch/sofa is around 4' away from the back wall.
My Home theatre is 15.19' x 13.48' (Sofa against 15.19' wall) so I cannot afford to place the sofa away from the wall as I dont have enough room.
My question is, if the sofa is placed against the rear wall, do I still position the 2 rear channels to the desired angles as per the 7.1 "Speaker Layout" section?
I've modified and attached fig2 from the Speaker layout section to explain what I mean.
I have my eye on the Mordaunt Short Avant 900 series. Im thinking I should go with complete dipole for the 4 surround speakers.
Also, how high should I place the surrounds from the ground? The height of the roof is 8'

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
If you can not place the surround back speakers behind the sofa, then it will be a waste. (IMO) You will be better off to run a 5.1 system. Put the 2 surround speakers to the left and right of the sofa.

Edit: Your immaging will be cluttered with 4 sets of speakers so close to each other. I think it would conflict with each other personally.

Last edited:
T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
I've read of a "general" rule-of-thumb for HT surround speaker height is at least the height of your ears when you stand up (5 to 6 ft.).

If you really want a 7.1 setup, try experimenting:
1. Pull your couch away 1 ft. from the rear wall and put the rear speakers behind it facing the drivers up toward the ceiling.
2. Place the rear speakers against the rear wall facing the drivers down toward the floor.
3. Use ceiling speakers placing them close to the rear wall.

Of course, your room layout is not optimal for 7.1 but at least you can try to achieve a setup that may satisfy you.

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
I was faced with the same dillema.

The couch in in my HT room sits right up to the wall. I was considering using one center speaker either direct or bipole/dipole. Or adding 2 direct speakers. I ended up buying a pair of Klipsch SS.5 surrounds and mounted them about 5.5ft. from the ground. I am really happy with the setup and feel it adds to a 5.1 setup.

There are not a lot of movies in EX/ES but Terminator 2 is and for me that alone was worth the price of admission. When you are watching a movie decoded in 5.1 with EX/ES on, some sound is matrixed back there with great results (for me). Yes I give 7.1 surround WITH THE COUCH TOUCHING THE WALL two thumbs up.

majorloser

majorloser

My back row (two rows) is about 1 1/2 foot from the back wall. I placed in-wall speakers in the back at 6 feet off the ground and approx 2 feet from side walls. They fire over the back row and are at the same height as the side polar speakers which are located even with the firstrow of seats. Obviously the front row is perfect for 7.1 while the back row is not. Perfect for me and the wife, screw the guests!

K

Krisso

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone and thanks for the link QED.

I'm going to try and experiment with di/bipoles between the ceiling and wall facing toward the listening position. I will also try the scenario of in-cieling speakers close to the rear wall.
To try out the in-cieling scenario, I will have to use 2 bookshelf Jamo's temporarily to try the positioning. I hope this will be the same effect as the in-ceiling speakers :(.
I'm assuming the in-ceiling scenario might be the way to go. Anyway, stay tuned, and i'll let you know how I go.

Cheers everyone!!!!

K

Krisso

Enthusiast
Ok heres the update.

My retailer wants to sell me "Jamo SU631K4 Dipole Surr. In-wall" (Hence In-wall) speakers for the rear in-ceiling application.

I do have the room in the roof, however, Im a little jubious about installing Inwall speakers in the roof.

Has anyone had any experience with "Inwalls" in the ceiling? or even any experience with the Jamo SU631K4?

This is the proposed package purchase:

2 x Mordaunt Short 502 Active Towers (Integrated Sub)
1 x Mordaunt Short 504 Centre
2 x Mordaunt Short 506 (Dipoles)
1 x Mordaunt Short 909w 12" Sub (Additional Sub)
2 x Jamo SU631K4 Dipole Surr. In-wall (For Ceiling Rears)
1 x Marantz SR-8500 7.1 Receiver
1 x Marantz DV-7600 DVD Player

Cheers,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis