Speaker placement in a hard room

D

deangeli

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>The room that will be our HT room is 18x18 feet, single story with the following awkwardness: the left wall has no place at all for a surround, and the back wall can accept one surround only, about 8 feet to the left of the &quot;left end&quot; of the golden triangle.  The right wall can handle a surround (if I can sell the idea to my wife).

If I put up the two surrounds, they will be firing at 90 degrees to one another.

The only other choice would be ceiling speakers.

What do you think?  Am I just out of luck?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>If the rears are going to be facing each other I strongly suggest using dipole surrounds instead of direct radiating.</font>

D

deangeli

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ceiling speakers would be direct radiating down.  I read somewhere that rear speakers for music should be direct radiating and for movies, side-firing.  Puts the likes of me in a bit of a bind.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>In your case the di-poles would be the best compromise.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I'd say direct radiators are your best bet and Dolby shows you how to place them on their website in the section &quot;3.3 &nbsp; Alternative surround speaker placement alternatives&quot;; Dolby setup info</font>

<font color='#000080'>Can you mount both surrounds so that they are firing towards the sitting positions, yet mounted on the aforementioned walls? In this scenario, the distance from the fronts would be equal, the left surround would be mounted on the rear wall, angled towards the sitting position, and the right surround would be mounted on the side wall angled towards the listening position.

If you can do this, then direct radiating would be best. If you cannot angle the surrounds equally, then I'd need a better &quot;map&quot; of the room to give my input. The above mounting assumes bracket mounts that you can use to &quot;point&quot; the speakers appropriately.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis