Speaker match-up for vintage Onkyo Receiver

C

cleaneduphippy

Audiophyte
Getting ready (well, already in the process) of auditioning various speakers to replace my aging Boston Acoustic A-60's. Some of the various speakers that I'm considering are:

B&W DM 601 & 602
Epos ELS-3 & M-5
JMLab Chrous 706
PSB Image B25

The question that I have is which of these speakers would match-up and perform the best with a vintage Onkyo Receiver (TX-840)? The 840 puts out 60 watts per side, and looking at it's manual, it would appear that it could handle a 4 ohm load.

If this is any help, the type of music I listen to is primarily blues/rock (BB King, Allman Brothers, Little Feat, ect) and Americana/Bluegrass. Listening volume is moderate (seldom have the volume control much past the 9 o'clock position). Listening area is carpeted 16 x 22, cathedral celling (12' to 8' -front to back, with speakers in the front).

Appreciation any and all suggestions.

Thanks

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
I've got the Onkyo TX-SR601E and I've got it hooked up to a couple of TMA premiums: http:www.tmahifi.com

I don't know how your amp sounds like but if it sounds anything like mine, you'll love these speakers. They're a bit on the expensive side, but I've compared them to the B&W's, polks, and 15 pairs of other speakers and to me the TMA's sounded best, especially for jazz and blues.

But listen to the speakers first. Always listen to the speakers first.

C

cleaneduphippy

Audiophyte
Herr D,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the TMA line of speakers. Their Premimum 901 looks like it might the type of speaker I would be interested in. Of course, one of my main criteria on my quest for new speakers is availabilty. There are many speakers that I would consider but unfortunately the various local audio dealers around here don't carry them. I've emailed TMA and hopefully they'll have a dealer in the metro DC area that carries their line of speakers.

As you say "listen to the speakers" first, and that something that I would definely have to do before purchasing a set of speakers.

Once again thanks.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker options

Depending on your price range, here are a few other speaker options:
Axiom Audio M22ti's, or M3ti's
Paradigm Mini Monitors
Used Paradigm Studio 20's
Onix X-LS and X-Sub (from AV123.com)

With any bookshelf system, a musical sub with high level inputs like the Onix X-Sub or Hus STF-1 would be a good addition. Otherwise you will lose everything below the 60-80 Hz cuttoff of the bookshelf speakers.

C

cleaneduphippy

Audiophyte
jc,

Thanks for your suggestions,

Have listen and definely liked the Paradigm Studio 20's. But they're a little out of my price range, especially considering that I'll probably have to spend an additional $150-200 on decent stands, speaker cables. Now if I could find a deal on a used set........definely would be tempted.

Was considering the Axiom's but once again, you have the availability issue. I know I could order them and if I don't care for them send them back, but I generally prefer dealing one on one with a person or a dealer and not having to deal with sending things back and forth. Also, I like hearing a speaker first, and since I've never actually "heard" an Axiom, would be a little bit hesitant into getting into that type of an arrangement.

As for subs, not really interested primarily because the speakers will be used mostly for music and using the A-60's as an example, which only go down to about 50Hz, I find that I don't really need or miss the extra half-octave of bass. Another reason that a sub (or for that matter a tower/floor standing speaker) is out of the question is that because I live in a condo and would have to deal with the issue of the sub bass bleeding into adjacent units.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
If you are truly interested in listening to one of the internet direct speakers, you can always go on one of the forums they have set up on their web site and see if anybody near-by is willing to let you audition them. For instance, axiom has their own forum here:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php

I'd get on there and start asking around if I were you.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
cleaneduphippy said:
jc,
Have listen and definely liked the Paradigm Studio 20's. But they're a little out of my price range, especially considering that I'll probably have to spend an additional $150-200 on decent stands, speaker cables. Now if I could find a deal on a used set........definely would be tempted.
If you find used Studio 20s grab them and put them on egg crates if you have to. And what's speaker wire for them.... Ten bucks maybe...

C

cleaneduphippy

Audiophyte
3x10,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Axiom forum. Might have to go over there and see if any Axiom owners live in my "neck of the woods" and would be willing to let me listen to their speakers. I'll even bring some beer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis