Speaker Level Balancing at Multiple Volume Levels

Bama214

Bama214

Audiophyte
Hello to all - I’m new here and been slowly upgrading my theater system. Latest purchases include a Denon AVR-3700H, an SVS Prime center channel, and an LG 65” OLED. I’m running a 7.2.2 configuration at present. Most of the remainder of the equipment are hand-me-downs from my dedicated audio system — which leads to my question.

Since my speakers are not identical across the channels, being from several different manufacturers (Thiel, B&W, SVS) does system level balancing at 75db really hold when actually listening at other than 75db? Fortunately, all these speakers have similar sensitivity at about 86db/w, but that would not seem to guarantee that their db per watt slopes would be the same.

So, is this an issue? The Denon does seem to have the ability to store up to 4 “favorites” presets which could include speaker level trims for different volume levels.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Bama214

Bama214

Audiophyte
I should add that I did run Audyssey and used the Audyssey app to limit the adjustments to under 500 hz. Dynammic EQ is disabled.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
So, is this an issue?
Well sure, the wattage demands for a given dB level will be different for the different speakers. That doesn’t necessarily mean it will be anything audible.

A way to check audibility would be to check levels with a meter at 75 dB and say, 95+ db.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis