Speaker Layout Assistance needed

kinstephen

kinstephen

Audiophyte
Hello All,

Would you all be so kind to provide ideas on the best way to place a 5.1 speaker system given the following layout. I'm at a loss due to the angle of our TV and the kitchen being open.

Here is the diagram to help visualize it...

familyroom.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Move the tv out of the corner :)

Is the chair your primary listening position or is it the couch or?

kinstephen

kinstephen

Audiophyte
I wish I could move the TV but that's the best possible place for the room size and it's layout.

The couch is the primary listening position.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to make the surround work the way it's intended with your layout of screen and seating. Can you mount speakers up near the ceiling and run wires accordingly?

I would simply move the couch to the backyard window wall and put the tv on the wall where the couch is; just having the couch up against the wall isn't going to do you any favors audio-wise; let alone with you facing a different direction than the tv. I can't see even watching the tv in the corner from the couch on the wall you have it. Seems like WAF at work, not usually a good thing for quality a/v.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'd just use a sound bar or sound base and admit defeat for this room. Take over a bedroom for a home theater. Unless you move the couch and coffee table to be parallel to the kitchen counter, and move the TV to the middle of the short wall, there's no hope for this room.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Just to confirm, an adequate 5.1 arrangement is virtually impossible in with a corner TV location. Here’s a good post that gives the details on the “why.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis