Speaker Hum - Sony UBP-X700

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Has anyone experienced speaker Hum with the Sony UBP-X700?

If I connect the power adapter for the UBP-X700 in the same outlet as the Adcom amp and play some active low frequency content at 85db+ a continuous hum appears in the speakers connected to the Adcom amp. The hum stays once it starts until the power strip for the amp it turned off. If I turn everything off and unplug the UBP-X700, the hum disappears.

If I plug the Sony UBP-X700 back in the Hum reappears. I'll have to try another outlet, or power adapter and see if that makes a difference. The power adapter cord on the UBP-X700 is really thin and its brand new. I'll return it if I can't get the hum under control. Anyone else seen this type of interference? Or knows of a fix?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Has anyone experienced speaker Hum with the Sony UBP-X700?

If I connect the power adapter for the UBP-X700 in the same outlet as the Adcom amp and play some active low frequency content at 85db+ a continuous hum appears in the speakers connected to the Adcom amp. The hum stays once it starts until the power strip for the amp it turned off. If I turn everything off and unplug the UBP-X700, the hum disappears.

If I plug the Sony UBP-X700 back in the Hum reappears. I'll have to try another outlet, or power adapter and see if that makes a difference. The power adapter cord on the UBP-X700 is really thin and its brand new. I'll return it if I can't get the hum under control. Anyone else seen this type of interference? Or knows of a fix?
Is it a power strip or surge protector?

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I moved the power plug from the Sony UBP-X700 to it's own power strip and the interference caused by the Sony Power adapter reduced by 90%.

That's crazy that a poorly designed power adapter can cause that much hum.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm totally brainfarting on "power adapter"... is this something along the lines of a power conditioner?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Sony UBP-X700 uses a two prong AC power cord. I would try reversing that blu-ray player plug if its 2 lugs are of the same size and all the remaining hum may vanish.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm totally brainfarting on "power adapter"... is this something along the lines of a power conditioner?
Some of the newer players work on 12V, and appears the 700X is one, so assume he means his AC/DC adapter.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I moved the power plug from the Sony UBP-X700 to it's own power strip and the interference caused by the Sony Power adapter reduced by 90%.

That's crazy that a poorly designed power adapter can cause that much hum.
He had issues with pro amps picking up hums from consumer gear. I've used cheater plugs with almost 100% success.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
He had issues with pro amps picking up hums from consumer gear. I've used cheater plugs with almost 100% success.
What is a cheater plug. Do you have a link to a good one?
Thanks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I looked up cheater plugs and they appear to be 3 prong to 2 prong adapters. How does this help ground a 2 prong plug from the Sony UBP-X700?
Use it on the amplifier plug, not the BD player. Should stop the interaction on the circuit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might also see if the ground loop is introduced by something like cable/sat equipment not being grounded properly....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Use on the amp to lift the ground

Cheater plug
The cheater plug appears to be designed for plugging a 3 prong device into a 2 prong outlet. But you're saying use it even though you have 3 prong outlet already? Can it be used on the surge protector if there is nowhere to screw in the ground loop? Or does it have to be on the wall power outlet?

Or if the AC adapter is causing the issue do you just get rid of it? :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The cheater plug appears to be designed for plugging a 3 prong device into a 2 prong outlet. But you're saying use it even though you have 3 prong outlet already? Can it be used on the surge protector if there is nowhere to screw in the ground loop? Or does it have to be on the wall power outlet?

It does sound as if you have a ground loop. However the safe correct solution is to identify the ground loop and eliminate it and not break a ground permanently with a cheater plug, which is potentially a dangerous solution.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Take the amp cord and plug it in the the cheater plug and plug into the strip, don't bother with ground.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Take the amp cord and plug it in the the cheater plug and plug into the strip, don't bother with ground.
That is not a safe way to deal with a ground loop. Not recommended except for test purposes.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That is not a safe way to deal with a ground loop. Not recommended except for test purposes.
I haven't had any issues and other forum members do as well. What would be unsafe the way he has it?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I haven't had any issues and other forum members do as well. What would be unsafe the way he has it?
Electronic devices, that have only two pins have double insulated power supplies an are safe. If the device has a grounding plug, and develops a fault, the chassis can become live. That is a potentially lethal scenario and against code. Devices that are not double insulated need grounding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis