mtschust

Audioholic Intern
I live in an 800 sqaure foot apartment. I own a tx-8511(onkyo) stereo receiver. I currently have a pair of speakers that came with my Phillips mini system a couple years ago. I can hardly listen to music without my upstairs neighbor flying off the wall, plus they sound like dirt. Anyone out there have any reccomendations? I've never owned a real decent speaker and I'm not sure what to get for an apartment where I can't rattle the roof. I have a price range of about $300.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Since you have only a stereo receiver you only need two speakers and $300 is certainly enough to get a fine pair. Anything from JBL, Infinity, Polk ,etc that you can get at your local Circuit City or Best Buy would be a major upgrade over the Philips and easily obtainable in your price range.

As far as not annoying a sensitive upstairs neighbor - the only way to do that is to keep the volume down. Better speakers will probably sound better at low volumes so you might not feel the need to turn it up so much but likewise they will sound better at high volumes and it will be hard to resist turning it up. :)

I've had an Onkyo and JBL combination for many years and I think they work pretty well together.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The Athena's are very nice for the price and would likely serve you well- I say "likely" only because tastes vary and the only dead sure way to know is to listen.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
mtschust said:
would you reccomend floor or bookshelf?
I prefer floorstanding because they typically get better extension into the lower ranges and may save you from having to buy a subwoofer, but I'm not familiar with how the Athenas sound-or how sensitive your upstairs neighbor's hearing is :D . Bring a disc you know well and go audition them both...you'll have a good time and answer your question for yourself.

Bryan...a nice pair of monitors would probably serve you well...

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
flyv65 said:
I prefer floorstanding because they typically get better extension into the lower ranges and may save you from having to buy a subwoofer, but I'm not familiar with how the Athenas sound-or how sensitive your upstairs neighbor's hearing is :D . Bring a disc you know well and go audition them both...you'll have a good time and answer your question for yourself.

Bryan...a nice pair of monitors would probably serve you well...
I have the AS-F2's... they have really nice bass extension. When I power off my sub they sound really full. I believe the F1's sound nearly as good, just a bit lighter in the bass department.

I would take the F1 over the bookshelves if space wasn't an issue.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis