P

penpitt

Audioholic
One of my speakers got knocked over by the kids the other day and now I hear crackling coming from the tweeter and from the midrange on the one speaker. These are none other than Rocket 850's from AV321 so obviously I cannot obtain new ones from them. I know in the MLS thread that sandbagger said he should be able to obtain replacements. But before I PM him I just want to make sure that it would be more than likely the midrange/tweeter and not the crossovers. Also it developed a thin crack about 12" in length in the front corner running from the top . Any fixes to prevent it from spreading? I was thinking of drilling a small hole at the top and bottom of the crack. Fortunately it is covered by the grill.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
One of my speakers got knocked over by the kids the other day and now I hear crackling coming from the tweeter and from the midrange on the one speaker. These are none other than Rocket 850's from AV321 so obviously I cannot obtain new ones from them. I know in the MLS thread that sandbagger said he should be able to obtain replacements. But before I PM him I just want to make sure that it would be more than likely the midrange/tweeter and not the crossovers. Also it developed a thin crack about 12" in length in the front corner running from the top . Any fixes to prevent it from spreading? I was thinking of drilling a small hole at the top and bottom of the crack. Fortunately it is covered by the grill.
If you are comfortable with the monumental task of turning a screwdriver (hex?) and have a bit of patience/carefulness, then you could (carefully) swap the tweeter and mid (one at a time) to your "good" speaker to see if it is the drivers themselves. The only issue would be if they soldered the wires to the speaker tabs (with would require de-soldering).
No speaker repair shops locally?
Btw, I would not drill any holes. Maybe use some clear coat to (carefully) paint into the crack...or leave it be.

cheers,

AJ

P

penpitt

Audioholic
If you are comfortable with the monumental task of turning a screwdriver (hex?) and have a bit of patience/carefulness, then you could (carefully) swap the tweeter and mid (one at a time) to your "good" speaker to see if it is the drivers themselves. The only issue would be if they soldered the wires to the speaker tabs (with would require de-soldering).

AJ
they are soldered which is why I haven't done that yet. I was just hoping someone would know if it was possible if the crossovers could have been fried. I guess I will go buy a soldering iron and swap them.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
they are soldered which is why I haven't done that yet. I was just hoping someone would know if it was possible if the crossovers could have been fried. I guess I will go buy a soldering iron and swap them.
Be careful to get a good one(weller or hakko) craigslist usually has a deal on one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis