speaker distortion & crackling

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
Hi folks, Happy Friday!! I am trying to pinpoint as issue I have with speaker noise, and how to go about fixing it. I notice crackling in the volume & balance knob while adjusting. I have hit it with deoxit, maybe it needs more? The other issue is in the sound itself in the speakers, in some songs I hear a distortion, not clear sound. I thought i had loose speaker wires, not the case. Could it be a bad, worn out needle? could it be inside the reciever where the wires connect? Any help out there, thank you....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks, Happy Friday!! I am trying to pinpoint as issue I have with speaker noise, and how to go about fixing it. I notice crackling in the volume & balance knob while adjusting. I have hit it with deoxit, maybe it needs more? The other issue is in the sound itself in the speakers, in some songs I hear a distortion, not clear sound. I thought i had loose speaker wires, not the case. Could it be a bad, worn out needle? could it be inside the reciever where the wires connect? Any help out there, thank you....
Can't help you. I don't know what equipment we are talking about. You need to be highly specific about this. I have a feeling this is vintage equipment that may be over due for a major restoration.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Can you post a video with the sound you are hearing?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the issue is in your old (...an assumption) preamp/amp/receiver....as was said make/model of all gear should always be mentioned for best help. That you're using deoxit makes it sound like old gear at least....

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
update, i replaced the turntable with another I just went out and got ( technics sl-D303 50 bucks) the other turntable is a PROJECT/one, not sure who made it, pretty sure it needs a new stylus. Anyways, the technics looks in pretty good shape, other than needing a clean up. I'm not sure the condition of the stylus, however, I did notice a more clean sound in the songs I previously noticed distortion. The funny thing is, with the technics, it skips during play & the other one never did. Can anyone explain this?? Good lord, it's always something. BTW the reciever is a realistic sta -2200, I dont notice the crackling with the knob on the technics either.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
update, i replaced the turntable with another I just went out and got ( technics sl-D303 50 bucks) the other turntable is a PROJECT/one, not sure who made it, pretty sure it needs a new stylus. Anyways, the technics looks in pretty good shape, other than needing a clean up. I'm not sure the condition of the stylus, however, I did notice a more clean sound in the songs I previously noticed distortion. The funny thing is, with the technics, it skips during play & the other one never did. Can anyone explain this?? Good lord, it's always something. BTW the reciever is a realistic sta -2200, I dont notice the crackling with the knob on the technics either.....
The skipping is most likely due to improper turntable set up especially the tracking force. Start by setting the tracking force correctly.

There may be a stylus problem. If you buy an old turntable ALWAYS replace the stylus or cartridge before use, no exception.

The other issue is that this is a semiautomatic turntable which I don't like. Over time these mechanisms cease up and cause too much friction and cause skipping. This problem is common in older semiautomatic turntable.

This requires careful dismantling to discover the cause and put it right.

Your original turntable, the Project One is the better turntable, I think. You should have replaced the stylus or cartridge on that rather than get another turntable.

Lastly if you are going to buy older vintage equipment you have to know how to service it and maintain it.

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
The skipping is most likely due to improper turntable set up especially the tracking force. Start by setting the tracking force correctly.

There may be a stylus problem. If you buy an old turntable ALWAYS replace the stylus or cartridge before use, no exception.

The other issue is that this is a semiautomatic turntable which I don't like. Over time these mechanisms cease up and cause too much friction and cause skipping. This problem is common in older semiautomatic turntable.

This requires careful dismantling to discover the cause and put it right.

Your original turntable, the Project One is the better turntable, I think. You should have replaced the stylus or cartridge on that rather than get another turntable.

Lastly if you are going to buy older vintage equipment you have to know how to service it and maintain it.
I work with the tracking force until it no longer skips, oh yeah!!! Do you know who made the project/one I ordered a replacement for the project one, and wanted another tt for another room!!

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
update, brand new stylus on the project/one, it's like a brand new machine, sounds awesome!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis