Speaker/Crossover settings

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was a bit confused on this... but this explanation definitely makes sense. I now understand why most people recommend setting speakers to small :)
Zumbo made me tell you this:D:

When I said you had done something good, I referred to your finally setting all speakers to small and crossover at 80 Hz.

As for the LFE, I would set it to 120 Hz but if you prefer 80 Hz, okay.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Doesn't this make the sub stand-out, as in, it's over there.
It probably would but as you know LFE is a channel by itself. It is not affected by whether the other channels are set to large or small. If the source material has contents above 80 Hz (apparently they do go up to 120 Hz), it will go to the sub if the sub is your .1, i.e. LFE channel regardless. Settings of small, large, and crossover points for the other channels would influence the redirected bass only, not the LFE channel.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It probably would but as you know LFE is a channel by itself. It is not affected by whether the other channels are set to large or small. If the source material has contents above 80 Hz (apparently they do go up to 120 Hz), it will go to the sub if the sub is your .1, i.e. LFE channel regardless. Settings of small, large, and crossover points for the other channels would influence the redirected bass only, not the LFE channel.
Thank you for clarification of that. Very interesting.;)

Another reason to love the upper-end avr's with separate x-over points for all.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Zumbo,

the best way - IMO - for setting up the LFE channel is to leave the LFE channel level on AVR @ 0dB, even though Audyssey says otherwise.
The reason is to avoid the output stage in the AVR to overload the SW input stage, + to maintain the noise level below audible level.

Then comes the XO setting, which I leave @ 120Hz on AVR, so in case I want more (or less ) bass, all I gotta do is to adjust the volume knob in the SW properly. All my speakers are crossed @ 80Hz though.

My speaker setup comprises:

03 X SVS SCS-01
04 X SVS SBS-01
01 X SVS PB-10 ISD.

As I said before... no complaints at all ;)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Zumbo,

the best way - IMO - for setting up the LFE channel is to leave the LFE channel level on AVR @ 0dB, even though Audyssey says otherwise.
The reason is to avoid the output stage in the AVR to overload the SW input stage, + to maintain the noise level below audible level.

Then comes the XO setting, which I leave @ 120Hz on AVR, so in case I want more (or less ) bass, all I gotta do is to adjust the volume knob in the SW properly. All my speakers are crossed @ 80Hz though.

My speaker setup comprises:

03 X SVS SCS-01
04 X SVS SBS-01
01 X SVS PB-10 ISD.

As I said before... no complaints at all ;)
I run YPAO with the sub @ 12 o-clock. If I want more bass, I just cut the sub up.

I will be changing my SW to 120.

I will be leaving the mains and surrounds set @60. 33-32
Center is set @80. 50-32

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis