Speaker cable upgrade - Flexygy?

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I'm upgrading from Canare speaker cables. Does anybody have any experience with River cable's Flexygy or Kimber's 4TC? I was really ready for the River Cables, but noticed that their prices jumped considerably in the last couple of months, and that they may be a little to warm sounding for my system.

Unfortunately I need custom terminations because of my set-up, so the return policy is n/a.

Any advice for the $200 (or under) range?

Thanks!

V

vandyman

Audiophyte
Alternatives to Flexegy

You should look at cobalt or Belden 5T00up 10 awg from bluejeans cable (terminate yourself ). The flexegy is useful because its a flat cable and easy to hide if you need to do that. Otherwise I've compared both to flexegy and they sounded the same. I chose the Belden because its cheaper and I easily made a pair of shotgun biwires for my Vandesteen 3A signatures.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the tip. Since I'm only using a single run, I was thinking of spending a little more to see if there would be improvements, otherwise I'd try the Belden combo. I'm not into the small guys like Cobalt, because I'm not sure what's really behind the cable. If it's just some Canare or Belden wrapped in a jacket, then I'll just do that myself. I have spools of the stuff at work.

My latest choice includes Analysis Plus Oval 12. They seem to be standing by tests, but they also mention LISTENING, which I hope Audioholics do in their next cable shoot out.

Oh yeah, even though I don't own a pair, I really like Vandersteens. I use a pair of Sequerra Met monitors every day, and I love the time aligned sound...

V

vandyman

Audiophyte
Fleygy

Cobalt is not Canare star quad. Its two 10 awg conductors in parallel, probably Belden or Mogami encased in flextech. I have done extensive listening tests comparing high end speaker cables (acoustic Zen, transparent, analysis plus, Audioquest etc and I find very little difference between them and a good quality belden or Mogami 10 awg except .57 a ft and $10 or more a ft. I hate to see people spend money on wire thats why I recommended the Belden. My listening credentials are 30 years as a professional musician currently playing with one of the top american symphony orchestras. Equipment is Krell amp, Audio Research tube preamp and Vandersteen speakers and subs.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Cobalt seems good.

I checked with Cobalt and they said that they manufacture the cables themselves.

That's a classic rig you have there! I have a McIntosh/ohm combo myself.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis