Speaker cable dilemma

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
This is the convincing, non-demeaning, demonstration I was looking for: YouTube, Audioholics, Gene DellaSala “OMG If You Coil Your Speaker Cable You’re Gonna Lose Fidelity?!?” March 1, 2021

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
Wire is always a single strand, cable is multiple strands in some arrangement. A pair of conductors doesn't make it a cable.

Quoting Nassua National Cable "Wire vs Cable: What is the Difference?" that you referenced:

"The main difference between the two is that "wire" is always a single conductor, while the cable is a group of conductors insulated together in a single jacket."

"An electrical wire is a thin thread of metal, typically made of copper or aluminum, used to carry electric current. It can have one or multiple strands but always acts as a single conductor. They can be used independently or as a component of a cable."

"Two common types of wire are solid wire and stranded wire. Solid wires are single-stranded, whereas a stranded wire consists of multiple strands."

"A cable is a thick cord that contains multiple wires"

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Quoting Nassua National Cable "Wire vs Cable: What is the Difference?" that you referenced:

"The main difference between the two is that "wire" is always a single conductor, while the cable is a group of conductors insulated together in a single jacket."

"An electrical wire is a thin thread of metal, typically made of copper or aluminum, used to carry electric current. It can have one or multiple strands but always acts as a single conductor. They can be used independently or as a component of a cable."

"Two common types of wire are solid wire and stranded wire. Solid wires are single-stranded, whereas a stranded wire consists of multiple strands."

"A cable is a thick cord that contains multiple wires"
What's your point- they contradicted themselves.

Many AV cables are very thin, so that last comment is just wrong.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Well for cables with smaller conductors. The cable is thicker than its individual wires.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
What's your point- they contradicted themselves.

Many AV cables are very thin, so that last comment is just wrong.
Those are just quotes copied and pasted from your reference and properly punctuated with quotation marks. Those are NOT my comments. I don't know anything, except how to read English. I don't read anywhere that your reference contradicted itself, they contradicted you. I don't read anywhere that your reference agrees with your definitions of "wire" and "cable".

I forgot to include this quote from your reference: "For accuracy and clarity, it's best to use "wire" when referring to single insulated conductors and "cable" when referring to multiple wires bundled together within a common sheath."

Speedskater said: "Note that in our posts, the word "wire" suggests one conductor and the word "cable" suggest both conductors."

which is consistent with your reference that says: "The main difference between the two is that "wire" is always a single conductor, while the cable is a group of conductors insulated together in a single jacket."

You said: "Wire is always a single strand, cable is multiple strands in some arrangement. A pair of conductors doesn't make it a cable."

which contradicts your reference that says: "An electrical wire is a thin thread of metal, typically made of copper or aluminum, used to carry electric current. It can have one or multiple strands but always acts as a single conductor. They can be used independently or as a component of a cable."

and says: "Solid wires are single-stranded, whereas a stranded wire consists of multiple strands."

and says: "The main difference between the two is that "wire" is always a single conductor, while the cable is a group of conductors insulated together in a single jacket."

You disagreed with Speedskater. You chose your reference. I read your reference. Your reference agrees with Speedskater and disagrees with you.

You seem to have made an effort to pick a ridiculous fight with Speedskater.

I am keeping my vow of no questions on Audioholics forums. I will abide by Speedskaters definitions of "wire" and "cable", as they seem to be the accepted definitions.

Your question "What's your point" should be followed by a question mark (?).

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
As soon as I saw the word cable in the post I knew there would be a lot of discussion Back and forth. Why don’t we ask the good folks at Audioquest what they think. You bring your credit card lol. And whatever you do don’t let them touch the floor! The walls and ceiling are OK but the floor is hot lava, according to my grandchildren.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
As soon as I saw the word cable in the post I knew there would be a lot of discussion Back and forth. Why don’t we ask the good folks at Audioquest what they think. You bring your credit card lol. And whatever you do don’t let them touch the floor! The walls and ceiling are OK but the floor is hot lava, according to my grandchildren.
This discussion would have ended if we didn't have to argue about the definitions of "wire" and "cable".

The big question was: "Does coiling speaker cable increase inductance?". The accepted answer is: "No!".

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Those are just quotes copied and pasted from your reference and properly punctuated with quotation marks. Those are NOT my comments. I don't know anything, except how to read English. I don't read anywhere that your reference contradicted itself, they contradicted you. I don't read anywhere that your reference agrees with your definitions of "wire" and "cable".

I forgot to include this quote from your reference: "For accuracy and clarity, it's best to use "wire" when referring to single insulated conductors and "cable" when referring to multiple wires bundled together within a common sheath."

Speedskater said: "Note that in our posts, the word "wire" suggests one conductor and the word "cable" suggest both conductors."

which is consistent with your reference that says: "The main difference between the two is that "wire" is always a single conductor, while the cable is a group of conductors insulated together in a single jacket."

You said: "Wire is always a single strand, cable is multiple strands in some arrangement. A pair of conductors doesn't make it a cable."

which contradicts your reference that says: "An electrical wire is a thin thread of metal, typically made of copper or aluminum, used to carry electric current. It can have one or multiple strands but always acts as a single conductor. They can be used independently or as a component of a cable."

and says: "Solid wires are single-stranded, whereas a stranded wire consists of multiple strands."

and says: "The main difference between the two is that "wire" is always a single conductor, while the cable is a group of conductors insulated together in a single jacket."

You disagreed with Speedskater. You chose your reference. I read your reference. Your reference agrees with Speedskater and disagrees with you.

You seem to have made an effort to pick a ridiculous fight with Speedskater.

I am keeping my vow of no questions on Audioholics forums. I will abide by Speedskaters definitions of "wire" and "cable", as they seem to be the accepted definitions.

Your question "What's your point" should be followed by a question mark (?).
I never wrote that they were your comments- lighten up, Francis.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis