A

a11111

Audiophyte
I just moved back home for the summer (was away for college) and set up my computer and sound system. The system worked perfectly when I was there, but here at home the left speaker has a constant buzzing sound 100% of the time it's turned on. The right speaker works fine. I switched the power cords and the outlets and everything imaginable and the left one always buzzes and the right one is always fine. I remember a similar problem last time I was here, and the problem only occurs here at my parents' house, never at my own apartment when I'm gone. My dad said it might be due to old low quality power in the house as opposed to a brand new apartment complex, but I don't understand why it's always/only the left speaker that has this problem.

This is what I have:
- M-Audio BX8a speakers
- M-Audio BX10s subwoofer
- X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
- Left speaker is using XLR and right is using TRS (I think I only had one TRS cable, don't remember why I did this, but the XLR does work fine when I'm not at home)
- Normal power strip
- Antec battery backup / surge protector

I used to have the speakers hooked up to a Belkin surge protector hooked up to the Antec, but it broke so now I'm just using a regular power strip. Again, the setup that buzzes here is exactly the same as the setup that doesn't buzz there.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
First thing I would try is to switch the speakers at the receiver outputs to see if it is the receiver or the speaker itself. If the buzzing follows the speaker then you know that speaker doesn't like what it is getting and may be on its way out. If it still shows up in the left side, then it may be the receiver picking up some interference.

Let us know how it works out.

A

a11111

Audiophyte
First thing I would try is to switch the speakers at the receiver outputs to see if it is the receiver or the speaker itself. If the buzzing follows the speaker then you know that speaker doesn't like what it is getting and may be on its way out. If it still shows up in the left side, then it may be the receiver picking up some interference.

Let us know how it works out.
I switched the outputs around and it's still the left speaker buzzing.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
OK, now that you've switched the speakers at the outputs, and the one connected to the left channel is the one that is buzzing, you know that it is your receiver that is causing the issue. A couple of other things to try to isolate what is making the receiver cause the buzz:

If you can connect it to a different electrical outlet see if it still does it. Swap out your surge protector/ for another and see if you still get the issue. Another option, is to try the receiver at a friend's house or apt. If in all those situations you still get the buzz, then it may be time to send the receiver in for repair.

If it was me, I would try different outlets, different impedance speakers, disconnect all inputs and see if I get a buzz without anything connected. If I got the buzz with all of those, I would cut my losses and contact mfr for authorized repair center.

Sorry not to have a silver bullet for you.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
actually, it sounds like it may be a grounding issue, are those speakers grounded? (three prong plug)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This problem is a ground loop. Since the problem occurs in the home but not your previous residence, I suspect the problem is a cable system or telephone ground. I suspect in your previous place all cable and phone grounds were properly tied in to the building ground, but in your current home they are not.

What do you have connected to your system in the way of telephone, cable systems, satellite systems etc?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis