Speaker build with "car audio" drivers?

P

pitchinwedge

Audiophyte
Hey all, I'm wondering what some issues might be of trying to build speakers for in-home use with car audio components?

I have some Dynaudio component speakers from my last car but I don't want the trouble/expense of another custom installation since my cars are now leased. I'd be thrilled if I could use these components to build something similar to Dynaudio's Excite X12 loudspeaker or the BM6 monitor.

To the eye, the speakers look very similar to the drivers used the X12 and BM6 but I've no idea what, if anything, is different. Has anyone tried something like this before?

annunaki

annunaki

I have attempted it before. You may need to change up the crossover in all reality to get them to properly sound alright. Most of the crossovers in a car (not all) tend to be steeper slopes than what is used in a home speaker as the drivers (car) are not always located close to one another. Sometimes they are poorly designed as well.

I would recommend using a woofer tester to get the true parameters and then construct a test cabinet and do some fine tuning before you jump in all the way.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely okay for nearfield.
However, I have to wonder about spl in a large room. Someone like Annunaki would probably know, but does a 6" driver intended for a 200 cu ft car have the ability to perform in a 2800 cu ft room?

annunaki

annunaki

The driver itself won't matter. In some cases a car driver may have additional xmax or usable excursion allowing it to move further thus moving more air. Would you hear that difference? That is debatable. Again, this is why testing the woofers would be critical to get the correct enclosure alignment (via modeling) for optimal performance.

Dynaudio makes a great product, I don't see why you could not get a pretty good result with a good modeling program. You may want to even contact Dynaudio to see what they recommend.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hey all, I'm wondering what some issues might be of trying to build speakers for in-home use with car audio components?

I have some Dynaudio component speakers from my last car but I don't want the trouble/expense of another custom installation since my cars are now leased. I'd be thrilled if I could use these components to build something similar to Dynaudio's Excite X12 loudspeaker or the BM6 monitor.

To the eye, the speakers look very similar to the drivers used the X12 and BM6 but I've no idea what, if anything, is different. Has anyone tried something like this before?
If you can get some measurements on it, we can find out. The biggest issue is that QTS might be high for a driver designed to operate in a door.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis