Speaker Advise (used Placement Guide by River Audio)

F

florida retiree

Audiophyte
Hello I read your suggested speaker placement guide and created a speaker diagram for my 2 story vaulted great room. I'd appreciate input from those of you more knowledgeable than me (which is probably all of you). For speakers I have 3 definitive tech C/L/R 1000, 2 definitive tech in wall UIW RCS II T2000s and 2 definitive tech BP2004TL and was going to buy a new A/V receiver something like a Yamaha Aventage. Any recommendations are welcome like speaker placement or can I add ceiling speakers in a room like this that's 19' tall with a vaulted ceiling or not. Tks
my room and proposed speaker layout.png
1642784394676.png

Last edited:
Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
You would be better off with the BP2004TL’s as your mains. I’ve bought and sold many pairs and while they’re not the last word in high end speakers they’re certainly more capable than a pair of CLR1000’s.

F

florida retiree

Audiophyte
Tks. I switched the BP2004TLs back to my mains and now think it's best to get 4 Def. Tech. UIW RLS IIIs for my in wall left and right and back surrounds, also there's a 3-4' wide ceiling only 9.5' above the TV (its a walkway above) and in that ceiling I was thinking of putting 2 UIW RCS II T2000s and using them for Atos. How's that sound? I need them in the ceiling there because my main vaulted ceiling is 19 to 26' up.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
That seems like a whole lot of open cubic feet to fill with sound. I would probably invest in some larger front speakers. If you are partial to DefTech, Audioholics review of the D15 is available to read. There are other brands with better measurements for less money. I would encourage you to read the audioholics’ reviews. Your current deftech surrounds do not necessarily have to match the brand of your fronts nor does your center. Were you considering subwoofers too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F

florida retiree

Audiophyte
I've got a Velodyne HGS-10 subwoofer now but in my old house (the one above is being built) I never got the subwoofer to perform well (probably due to it's placement and L shaped room) So I'm willing to try it in my new home, or the BP2004s have subs in them. Will the Velodyne perform better in this larger room? I have a spot marked for it on the current diagram. Tks! P.S. I read a few reviews of the D15, will next look for a comparison review of what I have and it.

Maybe I should have lead with this fact and question - The walls of this room are stone (see picture) - it that going to be a good or bad thing sound wise?

Last edited:
G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
James Larson (@shadyJ) at audioholics recently reviewed the new polk R700s and liked them a lot for the price. You might want to read those reviews as well. Plus since you have not yet moved in you might also consider hiring one of the audioholics reviewers as a consultant. Their hourly price is quite reasonable and you should consider it “mistake avoidance” insurance. I used them and I’m very pleased with their advice. I believe @gene also is available.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got a Velodyne HGS-10 subwoofer now but in my old house (the one above is being built) I never got the subwoofer to perform well (probably due to it's placement and L shaped room) So I'm willing to try it in my new home, or the BP2004s have subs in them. Will the Velodyne perform better in this larger room? I have a spot marked for it on the current diagram. Tks! P.S. I read a few reviews of the D15, will next look for a comparison review of what I have and it.
The HGS-10 was not a great sub to begin with otoh....certainly not one I'd stay with compared to current offerings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The hgs 10 will be useless in there. large airspace mixed with concrete and brick are just too much for it.
And the ceilings are much too high for Atmos to work as intended. I would try some pendant speakers possibly.

F

florida retiree

Audiophyte
Tks, pendants are a good idea I had not thought of, between these two options which do you recommend?
ceiling.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I didn’t catch that there’s a valance above the tv. That would likely be the simplest installation and the distance and height seem fine. I think I’d do that.

F

florida retiree

Audiophyte
Cool that's why I wanted to double check, all you experts are appreciated for taking the time to help me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s quite generous of you to say. Most of us are just enthusiasts like you. Just different experience pool. Just glad to share. Hopefully it’s useful! Lol

F

florida retiree

Audiophyte
Hi guys so I figured out I need to buy new hardware and have zeroed in on the following, do these go well together and work in this room (remember room pictures are above). Thanks in advance!

AV Processer - Yamaha Aventage rx-a6a 9.2 channels

L & R - 2 Definitive Technology D15s
C - Definitive Technology Demand D5C
Ls Rs - 2 Definitive Technology DI 5.5 C/L/R in wall speakers
Lb Rb - 2 Definitive Technology D7s

Lastly for the sides and backs do I want the tweeters about 50" off the floor?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Well congratulations on your decisions. They should be fine for your room. Height of your surrounds/backs should be able to reach (line of sight) the ears of the majority of viewers/listeners.

Later you may find adding two subs would add a better immersion into your viewing and listening.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis