D

DestinyTTK

Enthusiast
Moving from a Denon S710 to S960H. Currently have some b20 Klipsch and c20 center with surrounds but need to check the model number. Also have a Dayton 100W sub.

Want to replace the speakers with the new receiver and looking at the Klipsch Reference 610 pack with the B41 bookshelfs. What do u giys think?? Main use Video Games and movies via apple tv

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most upgrades will be via better speakers....which ones you prefer can be hard over the internet. Personally I don't like Klipsch.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Are there features lacking on the Denon S710 that you want on the S960H? It could be tetter to upgrade your speakers & Sub instead of paying a big chunk on the Denon S960H.

D

DestinyTTK

Enthusiast
Are there features lacking on the Denon S710 that you want on the S960H? It could be tetter to upgrade your speakers & Sub instead of paying a big chunk on the Denon S960H.
No not necessarily, it was like a trade up so I didn't spend that much on it. I do want to upgrade the speakers though, with some floorstanding fronts and bookshelf surrounds just not sure what to get. Budget around 600 to 700 for the 4 speakers will do the sub later if needed.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
No not necessarily, it was like a trade up so I didn't spend that much on it. I do want to upgrade the speakers though, with some floorstanding fronts and bookshelf surrounds just not sure what to get. Budget around 600 to 700 for the 4 speakers will do the sub later if needed.
Speakers at that price point rarely get proper reviews so it's hard to make a recommendation. Those are rather inexpensive speakers and you get what you pay for. I see this set of speakers and AVR for $854 US. That's two R610, two R41, R52 center and a Yamaha receiver. That tells me that those are very cheap speakers.

If you want a noticeable improvement that will last, I would recommend upgrading a piece at a time with units that have been well reviewed. That doesn't mean you can't do it on a budget. For example, Audioholics reviewed the Monolith Encore T6 and also the HECO Aurora 1000 towers which are in the $800 range. You can upgrade your front speakers first and use your existing front bookshelfs as surround speakers. Then save up for a good center speaker to match your fronts if you can't afford to get all 3 at the same time.

If you are set on getting four speakers for $600, then you might as well go to Best Buy or Magnolia and get whatever sounds good to you. I can't recommend those inexpensive Klipsch and would rather see people spend a little extra for better quality.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Speakers at that price point rarely get proper reviews so it's hard to make a recommendation. Those are rather inexpensive speakers and you get what you pay for. I see this set of speakers and AVR for $854 US. That's two R610, two R41, R52 center and a Yamaha receiver. That tells me that those are very cheap speakers.

If you want a noticeable improvement that will last, I would recommend upgrading a piece at a time with units that have been well reviewed. That doesn't mean you can't do it on a budget. For example, Audioholics reviewed the Monolith Encore T6 and also the HECO Aurora 1000 towers which are in the $800 range. You can upgrade your front speakers first and use your existing front bookshelfs as surround speakers. Then save up for a good center speaker to match your fronts if you can't afford to get all 3 at the same time.

If you are set on getting four speakers for $600, then you might as well go to Best Buy or Magnolia and get whatever sounds good to you. I can't recommend those inexpensive Klipsch and would rather see people spend a little extra for better quality.
I'm with @Eppie here. To really notice a significant shift upwards in sound quality, you need a step change in the quality of the speaker. As most of the sound comes from the front, focus you efforts there and use some of your existing gear for the surrounds. It will be money well spent.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@DestinyTTK I like Klipsch speakers, even though they have reduced some of the, "Shouting," these days. I don't like Neutral sounding speakers for movies and certainly not for gaming. That's me.

Klipsch speakers are my preference with having PUNCH for movies and gaming. I assume you have a subwoofer and a nice center channel for movies.

Good luck with any selections you decide on.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I like Klipsch speakers, even though they have reduced some of the, "Shouting," these days. I don't like Neutral sounding speakers for movies and certainly not for gaming. That's me.

Klipsch is my preference with having punch for movies and gaming.
Do you ever try equalization for different sound sources? It can make a big difference on one source, say gaming, while not corrupting serious music listening.

Everyone probably has speakers they prefer.

Last edited:
D

DestinyTTK

Enthusiast
@DestinyTTK I like Klipsch speakers, even though they have reduced some of the, "Shouting," these days. I don't like Neutral sounding speakers for movies and certainly not for gaming. That's me.

Klipsch speakers are my preference with having PUNCH for movies and gaming. I assume you have a subwoofer and a nice center channel for movies.

Good luck with any selections you decide on.
Fair enough and completely understand, what if I went with these as the Floor Standing fronts
Klipsch Reference R-26FA Floorstanding Speaker

Unless someone can recommend a pair around 600 or so and can work on the rest later.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Fair enough and completely understand, what if I went with these as the Floor Standing fronts
Klipsch Reference R-26FA Floorstanding Speaker

Unless someone can recommend a pair around 600 or so and can work on the rest later.
The speakers with Dolby ATMOS drivers mounted on top are not recommended here. You have to have a flat ceiling at the right height, seating at the right distance, to notice any ATMOS effects and the proximity of those drivers to the front facing drivers can cause interference. Height speakers mounted at the ceiling are much better. How much money is going into the top drivers that could have been spent on the fronts?

If you really like Klipsch and want a step up from the B20, maybe look at the RP-5000F currently on sale on Crutchfield at $299 each (back ordered until July 10), or save up a little more for the RP-6000F at $399 each. The 6000F is normally $1,380 a pair so that's a good saving. The 5000F is normally $1,020 but has a smaller set of woofers than the 6000F. It fits your budget though. (Not the 5000F II which is $450 each.)

D

DestinyTTK

Enthusiast
The speakers with Dolby ATMOS drivers mounted on top are not recommended here. You have to have a flat ceiling at the right height, seating at the right distance, to notice any ATMOS effects and the proximity of those drivers to the front facing drivers can cause interference. Height speakers mounted at the ceiling are much better. How much money is going into the top drivers that could have been spent on the fronts?

If you really like Klipsch and want a step up from the B20, maybe look at the RP-5000F currently on sale on Crutchfield at $299 each (back ordered until July 10), or save up a little more for the RP-6000F at $399 each. The 6000F is normally $1,380 a pair so that's a good saving. The 5000F is normally $1,020 but has a smaller set of woofers than the 6000F. It fits your budget though. (Not the 5000F II which is $450 each.)
Thank you so much for the information. I think I am going to go with the 5000F or 6000F but of course nobody has them or are back ordered, except amazon has 1 5000F lol. Nonetheless looks like those are my choice to pair with the 960H. Did you have a recommendation on which center speaker?? Thank you again!!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you so much for the information. I think I am going to go with the 5000F or 6000F but of course nobody has them or are back ordered, except amazon has 1 5000F lol. Nonetheless looks like those are my choice to pair with the 960H. Did you have a recommendation on which center speaker?? Thank you again!!
I think the matching center would be the RP-500C which is currently discounted on Crutchfield. It's currently cheaper than the R-50C. A 3-way center is preferred as 2-way centers do not have as even a response off of center (you get comb filtering effects off angle / to the side) but for single person use where off angle sound is not a priority, a 2-way can be ok. Klipsch doesn't seem to make a 3-way center any way.

D

DestinyTTK

Enthusiast
I think the matching center would be the RP-500C which is currently discounted on Crutchfield. It's currently cheaper than the R-50C. A 3-way center is preferred as 2-way centers do not have as even a response off of center (you get comb filtering effects off angle / to the side) but for single person use where off angle sound is not a priority, a 2-way can be ok. Klipsch doesn't seem to make a 3-way center any way.
I chatted with crutchfield and they recommended the Klipsch Ref Premiere RP-504C so I may get that one or the 404C, just waiting for the speakers to be in stock

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I chatted with crutchfield and they recommended the Klipsch Ref Premiere RP-504C so I may get that one or the 404C, just waiting for the speakers to be in stock
Just bear in mind the size. In home theater the center speaker is very important but the 504C is 32" wide while the 500 is closer to what you have now which is why I recommended that one first. If you can afford the better center that will pay off in the long run. Then in the next year or two maybe consider upgrading the subwoofer next. The Dayton sub is a good starter for the money but many people underestimate how much of a difference a good clean subwoofer can make to the overall sound. Hopefully those towers will be in stock soon. ;)

D

DestinyTTK

Enthusiast
Just bear in mind the size. In home theater the center speaker is very important but the 504C is 32" wide while the 500 is closer to what you have now which is why I recommended that one first. If you can afford the better center that will pay off in the long run. Then in the next year or two maybe consider upgrading the subwoofer next. The Dayton sub is a good starter for the money but many people underestimate how much of a difference a good clean subwoofer can make to the overall sound. Hopefully those towers will be in stock soon. ;)
I feel like your making me spend more money lol, but I get it. Having said that do you have a preference for a sub with this setup? Doesn't necessarily have to be Klipsch but if they have good ones then that will work.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I feel like your making me spend more money lol, but I get it. Having said that do you have a preference for a sub with this setup? Doesn't necessarily have to be Klipsch but if they have good ones then that will work.
Yes, it's easy to spend other people's money. :D For a noticeable upgrade I think you would have to move into at least the $500 category. Audioholics did a round up of $500 subs last year and the Klipsch R-121SW still gets recommended if you want to keep the speakers from the same brand (not that it is required with subwoofer but it has the same copper spun cone.) The Dayton could do fine for now but this could be a longer term goal to get the components on the same level.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers (and your room) are the largest influences on what you hear. Good basic speakers last a lifetime, and better to purchase once than two or three times....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis