Y

Yankee Boy

Audiophyte
Yesterday I listened to: defTech 8060,$ 1000. on sale; and Martin Logan electrostat $3000. DT room filling but lacking detail, resolution; ML sounded tinny. At home: BW 602 s2 and Adcom 100 watt amp(both older), I am seeking full range with clarity. Should I get bigger BW, or what about Tekton, PSB? KEF?
Any guidance, references appreciated

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"Accuracy" is a fairly nebulous term.

Accurate to whose ears? The musicians playing the music? The engineers in the room where it was mastered? The room where it was mixed down? Accurate to someone in the front row of a concert? How about somebody towards tha back of the venue?

Your best bet is to go for something that sounds like what you expect music to sound like. Every recording is gonna be mixed/mastered to various peoples tastes anyway.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yesterday I listened to: defTech 8060,$ 1000. on sale; and Martin Logan electrostat $3000. DT room filling but lacking detail, resolution; ML sounded tinny. At home: BW 602 s2 and Adcom 100 watt amp(both older), I am seeking full range with clarity. Should I get bigger BW, or what about Tekton, PSB? KEF?
Any guidance, references appreciated
Full range as in 20hz-20khz? If so those are hard to find and generally expensive. As mark alluded to their are a lot of factors involved, first and foremost is the recording itself. A very accurate speaker will tend to reveal a poor recording. The BWs you use at home have a somewhat bloated midrange which some like and some dont.

What is your room size, listening levels, goals, and a true budget. Its typically easier (and cheaper)to find a bookshelve speaker and a sub that will achieve full range sound than towers alone. If you start with a flat response curve it will be easier to tailor the sound more towards your ears. Its easier to add a little eq for preference than EQing a problematic speaker. If you notice in the graph above their is about a 4-5db between 1k and 2.5k.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As an aside, I tend to find Magnapan speakers to my liking but they like a lot of power, are very placement sensitive, and are not everones cuppa tea.

http://www.magnepan.com/

Last edited:
Y

Yankee Boy

Audiophyte
Full range as in 20hz-20khz? If so those are hard to find and generally expensive. As mark alluded to their are a lot of factors involved, first and foremost is the recording itself. A very accurate speaker will tend to reveal a poor recording. The BWs you use at home have a somewhat bloated midrange which some like and some dont.

What is your room size, listening levels, goals, and a true budget. Its typically easier (and cheaper)to find a bookshelve speaker and a sub that will achieve full range sound than towers alone. If you start with a flat response curve it will be easier to tailor the sound more towards your ears. Its easier to add a little eq for preference than EQing a problematic speaker. If you notice in the graph above their is about a 4-5db between 1k and 2.5k.
Thanks, I am trying to use existing speakers along with center channel and sub. So far added center channel, swapped out Adcom for Yamaha 377(from a BR) and have a much fuller sound in the family room. Add the sub soon, see what happens. Thank You for your suggestion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis