Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Agree with William. The concept behind dual subs is to even the response throughout the space. Mixing different subs defeats that purpose as the response won't be identical. Sealed units having a quicker response is a fallacy. Ported units work just as well in the mid band and will perform better at the lower frequencies. It's generally accepted that ported is better and that sealed units are more for situations where space is limited and size is the major concern.

PB2000Pros would be plenty. PB3000s would be killer. Ultra16s overkill. :D Bear in mind how big the boxes are. The 3000 has a 13" driver and the Ultra16 a 16" driver. They are big boxes. The 2000 and 3000 are black boxes with rounded corners and rather plain and unobtrusive. The Ultra16 is more of a statement piece that will catch people's attention. If you want a sub that also has a lot of visual appeal like the Ultra16, you should also look at the Arendal 1723 2V.

L

Lazasar

Junior Audioholic
You are correct, it was a typo and I am glad you understood my meaning. I don't have a lot of knowledge about these things, but suspected it was a bad idea and you confirmed it. I am still looking at various subs before I make a final decision. There is just soooo much to learn.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You are correct, it was a typo and I am glad you understood my meaning. I don't have a lot of knowledge about these things, but suspected it was a bad idea and you confirmed it. I am still looking at various subs before I make a final decision. There is just soooo much to learn.
Yes indeed. The rabbit hole is deep!
Hopefully we can help a little.

L

Lazasar

Junior Audioholic
I think I am about done with the planning stages of deciding what to install. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

All B&W speakers:
Center: HTM71 S2
Front floor speakers: 702 S2
Side and Rear surrounds: CWM7.5 S2 (4 total)
Atmos: CCM7.5 S2 (4 total)
Sub: DB4S (2 Total) (these were reviewed well, not as big as some of the others and about the same cost, but figured this way I knew the speakers would all be matched and I could get them through the same dealer I am getting the other speakers. I live in a small town and like to keep it local when I can.)

Video Processor: Anthem AVM 90
Amplifier: Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2 5 channel amp (2 total)
Amplifier: Anthem MCA 325 Gen 2 3 channel amp for the R/C/L channels
Kaleidescape Terra 12 TB

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think I am about done with the planning stages of deciding what to install. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

All B&W speakers:
Center: HTM71 S2
Front floor speakers: 702 S2
Side and Rear surrounds: CWM7.5 S2 (4 total)
Atmos: CCM7.5 S2 (4 total)
Sub: DB4S (2 Total) (these were reviewed well, not as big as some of the others and about the same cost, but figured this way I knew the speakers would all be matched and I could get them through the same dealer I am getting the other speakers. I live in a small town and like to keep it local when I can.)

Video Processor: Anthem AVM 90
Amplifier: Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2 5 channel amp (2 total)
Amplifier: Anthem MCA 325 Gen 2 3 channel amp for the R/C/L channels
Kaleidescape Terra 12 TB
I think you'll be very happy with that and it's nice that you're giving a local small town dealer all of that business. To be honest, there are only a select few that have a budget like that for a complete system, so not much experience with those particular components. You pay a premium for the B&W name and the Anthem gear is upper tier as well, but it appears that you are not so much looking for advice on best bang for the buck but just concerned that you are getting quality gear that will match nicely for your investment. While B&W does not get mentioned often here because of pricing, it's still quality gear and should sound great with the Anthems behind them.

The only piece I might question is the Kaleidescope Terra. That's a lot of money for a movie server. Have you researched that thoroughly? From my understanding you purchase movies from the Kaleidescope store and as they are high res you need a very fast internet connection. They also mention the Strato C player for movie playback, so I wonder whether you have playback options covered? There is a review of the Terra on Sound and Vision. I think the Terra requires a Strato C for playback while the Strato S 12TB is storage and player combined.

I hope you post some photos when the installation is complete.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis