Spanish guitar music

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
2 of my favorites are Ottmar Libibert and Govi. If you like interesting Guitar music try this.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I will look into these.

Romero...Un Segundo Una Vida

Really good acoustic guitar work on this Mulit-ch SACD

Antonio Forcione is pretty good too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not Spanish, but you may also want to give a listen to From the Redwoods to the Rockies. It is Craig Chaquico & Russ Freeman of Starship and Rippingtons respectively, so it has a new age jazz sound, but great guitar IMO.

I've seen Craig live 2 or 3 times as he is a local guy. Great live show.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not Spanish, but you may also want to give a listen to From the Redwoods to the Rockies. It is Craig Chaquico & Russ Freeman of Starship and Rippingtons respectively, so it has a new age jazz sound, but great guitar IMO.

I've seen Craig live 2 or 3 times as he is a local guy. Great live show.
Sorta of the same vein with Earl Klough...20 seconds into it, I was sold.

I will end up with this...I'm compiling my next to buy list right now.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another not quite in the genre but worthy is A Friday Night in San Francisco by John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco DeLucia

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Another not quite in the genre but worthy is A Friday Night in San Francisco by John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco DeLucia
Best guitar album in my collection ... And I have a lot of guitar albums

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure where you draw the line on Spanish Guitar; but Jesse Cook (well known) and Roman street (fairly young group) are good for simple, but great guitar with a Latin flair. Roman Street categorizes their music primarily as falling in the "Gypsy Jazz" genre.

The Roman Street Guitarists are brothers - lot of fun to watch in concert, especially how they seamlessly exchange lead and rhythm guitar roles!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not sure where you draw the line on Spanish Guitar; but Jesse Cook (well known) and Roman street (fairly young group) are good for simple, but great guitar with a Latin flair. Roman Street categorizes their music primarily as falling in the "Gypsy Jazz" genre.

The Roman Street Guitarists are brothers - lot of fun to watch in concert, especially how they seamlessly exchange lead and rhythm guitar roles!
Not writing this to be overly critical or argumentative, but I didn't hear anything that screamed 'improvisation' in any of these songs- well played and enjoyable music, but to me, it's similar to a lot of other 'Spanish Music' I have heard (and I have heard a lot of it).

Because of the lack of improv, I would hesitate to call it 'Jazz' and it's definitely not what I would call 'Gypsy Jazz', in that it doesn't remind me of Django Reinhardt, at all (whose style contains elements of Swing with strong rhythm, kept by at least one guitar player & bass and usually no drummer, even during the slow songs). However, Gypsies heavily influenced the music of many countries, so their contributions cant be denied but it's hard, at this time, to pinpoint exactly what that is. To me, it would be the fiery playing of Flamenco that comes from Gypsy music, but it's probably the slow, emotional, sonorous music, too.

Being brothers makes their interactions difficult to recreate by people who aren't related, or at least who lived together. I often imagine brothers who perform together playing as kids and trying to out-do each other, arguing about who's better, fighting, separating to play again and eventually deciding that their playing together is better than their fighting about it.

Hmmm- I just found that Milwaukee has a Gypsy Jazz group.

Django, for whom Gypsy Jazz is named-

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
There are so many of his on there (You Tube). My favorite album is 305 by him.

Jesse Cook is good also and Johanna’s Linstead.

Try Govi his is all good!

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I’ve heard her on Pandora and BTW it’s OTTMAR LIEBERT, my mistake.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Watch the following: The Romero brothers celebrating their 50 years:

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
First time I heard this was on a friends Fons TT through an Ampzilla into some large Magnepans. Simply spectacular.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First time I heard this was on a friends Fons TT through an Ampzilla into some large Magnepans. Simply spectacular.
Never heard it on vinyl. A friend of mine that had been at the show gave me the CD for a birthday present long ago. It is spectacular no matter what media you use....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Never heard it on vinyl. A friend of mine that had been at the show gave me the CD for a birthday present long ago. It is spectacular no matter what media you use....
I hear you. That was a friends system long ago. I also own it on it cd these days and it is still stunning through my modest system.
Dave

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe a little Susana Baca if you want some singing along with guitar....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis