Spade connectors and Yamaha R-n803 receiver

A

Ayman

Audiophyte
Hi all. Was looking to buy this Yamaha receiver but couldn't find any confirmation that it accepts spade speaker terminals. Does any one happen to know whether the n803 spade compatible binding posts.
Thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all. Was looking to buy this Yamaha receiver but couldn't find any confirmation that it accepts spade speaker terminals. Does any one happen to know whether the n803 spade compatible binding posts.
Thanks
The R-N803 has speaker connectors which are usually used by most AV receiver manufacturers. They accept banana plugs, spade connectors and bare wire. These three types of connections are the most common.

A

Ayman

Audiophyte
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the reply. I would've thought that was the default. The thing is I came across a couple of posts (relating to other Yamaha receivers) complaining that unscrewing the nobs does not give enough space to fit the spades. Further, in this particular review: https://audiomaxx.in/blogs/extended-product-info/yamaha-r-n803-stereo-receiver-145w-x-2-8-ohms-musiccast-bluethooth-and-am-fm-tuner
It only mentions bare-wire, bananas and pin-connectors. So I'm not sure!
Here is the owner's manual and other downloads. Check page 11 of the owner's manual. It appears that their speaker connectors have a little shroud on either side of the connector base. That connector type will usually still fit small spade terminals but can be an issue with large spade terminals. So I guess the answer is "it depends". There is always the option of removing the spade connectors and replacing them with a good quality banana plug, unless you have some expensive cables with factory spade connectors.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the reply. I would've thought that was the default. The thing is I came across a couple of posts (relating to other Yamaha receivers) complaining that unscrewing the nobs does not give enough space to fit the spades. Further, in this particular review: https://audiomaxx.in/blogs/extended-product-info/yamaha-r-n803-stereo-receiver-145w-x-2-8-ohms-musiccast-bluethooth-and-am-fm-tuner
It only mentions bare-wire, bananas and pin-connectors. So I'm not sure!
In any case, should the connectors not allow spade lugs, you can cut them off and either use bare wire or preferably get some good banana plugs:

You can also get those Affinity plugs direct from Monoprice.

A

Ayman

Audiophyte
Here is the owner's manual and other downloads. Check page 11 of the owner's manual. It appears that their speaker connectors have a little shroud on either side of the connector base. That connector type will usually still fit small spade terminals but can be an issue with large spade terminals. So I guess the answer is "it depends". There is always the option of removing the spade connectors are replacing them with a good quality banana plug, unless you have some expensive cables with factory spade connectors.
Much appreciated Eppie. Yeah, the manual was what got me doubting in the first place. The diagram and no mention of spades. And like you guessed, my cables are way too expensive to mess with (not to mention I have zero experience in terminating cables). I'm thinking a spade-to-banana adapters might be the way to go. We'll see.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Much appreciated Eppie. Yeah, the manual was what got me doubting in the first place. The diagram and no mention of spades. And like you guessed, my cables are way too expensive to mess with (not to mention I have zero experience in terminating cables). I'm thinking a spade-to-banana adapters might be the way to go. We'll see.
It's very simple to swap terminations. Just snip the spades off, strip some of the insulation back and install some bananas. The good ones come with dual set screws so all you need is a little flathead screwdriver.

That said, I don't know what cables you have but maybe you could contact the company and see if they'll do it for you. As in send them in and have them put new terminations on them. If I owned those I'd shop for some fancy bananas and do it myself, or just buy a spool of good, pure copper 14 or 12g cord from Monoprice and make my own. You really shouldn't spend much for cables. They make claims that simply are not backed by science. They rely on expectation bias and "burn in" to sell their product. Gene has tested a few exotic cables here and found some of them actually performed measurably worse than regular ol' copper cables.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Note that there are different size spade connectors...
If too large then yes a compatibility issue may exist...

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis