ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I was recently asked for a good choice for a soundbar for a relative. Having no experience with them I think this is a good forum for intelligence!:D

Budget; $500

They are looking for a soundbar/sub combo for a very large room. The main problem is that there isn't enough sound from the tv to go around.

I understand that a soundbar/sub combo isn't going to give them anything close to what the reg's around here would call adaquate. (the living room is completely open to the kitchen and the sunroom. 5200 cubic feet) I am just asking for the best option.

Current config; satellite box -> tv (everything on a wallmount)

**please keep in mind - we are in southern ontario, canada (complications never cease:eek:)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I only have experience with the soundbars in Best Buy, which I was very unimpressed with.

There are a ton of options, out there and I'm sure someone with some experience with soundbars in your budget will come along.

However, I'll leave you with these two links to ponder. I know they are well above the budget, but they're interesting options. Plus the Outlaw claims +- 3db to 47 Hz which ain't bad for no sub. Outlaw probably won't work with you on the price, but John from Source may be willing to budge a little and you can also ask him if he has an B-stock sound bars for a discount.

PlasmaLCRlist

Outlaw Audio OSB-1 Sound Bar

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'm a big fan of zvox sound bars. I don't know if they are available in Canada, though. The 580 runs $500 US. It has digital inputs and a few neat tricks for improving dialogue and mimicking surround. But basically, it is a box that your TV can sit on and it focuses on the basics of what makes for good speakers. The sound quality is very good and the company is, in my experience, very reasonable to deal with.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
It sounds like they're looking for something not complicated. I'd assume wireless sub since they've got the tv mounted..? If they're interested in just boosting sound, I'd say most bars will do that job. With $500, I'd look at the Polk IHT 6000 set. Runs ~400 on Amazon here, not sure about where you're at though. The bar can be wall mounted under their tv and the sub can be placed anywhere..

Amazon.com: Polk Audio SurroundBar IHT 6000 Instant Home Theater (Black): Home Audio & Theater

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis