Soundbar works with Roku but not Blu-ray player - how to solve?

B

BonAmiCambur

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I’m having trouble getting my blu-ray player to talk to my soundbar. The soundbar works fine with the Roku, but when I switch to the blu-ray player, the sound only comes through the TV speakers, not the soundbar. I’ve tried messing with the settings and cables but so far, nothing has worked. I’m hoping someone with more knowledge can pinpoint what exactly needs to be done?

Equipment:
  • TV: Sharp LC-32SB23U
  • Soundbar: SONY SA-S350
  • BluRay Player: SONY BDP-S1700
  • Roku Express
How they’re connected:
  • TV is connected to soundbar with HDMI and Optical cable
  • Roku to TV with HDMI —> sound comes through soundbar fine
  • BluRay to TV with same HDMI cable as Roku (switch from Roku to BluRay player) —> no sound from sound bar, only TV speakers. Tried adding a digital audio coaxial cable but that didn’t do it either.
TV Audio Settings are close to nonexistent (pretty much just adjusting treble/bass, etc.). BluRay settings - no matter what I choose (RCA, auto, stereo, surround, etc.), I get the same result: sound through TV speakers only, nothing through the soundbar.

Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All,

I’m having trouble getting my blu-ray player to talk to my soundbar. The soundbar works fine with the Roku, but when I switch to the blu-ray player, the sound only comes through the TV speakers, not the soundbar. I’ve tried messing with the settings and cables but so far, nothing has worked. I’m hoping someone with more knowledge can pinpoint what exactly needs to be done?

Equipment:
  • Roku Express
How they’re connected:
  • BluRay to TV with same HDMI cable as Roku (switch from Roku to BluRay player) —> no sound from sound bar, only TV speakers. Tried adding a digital audio coaxial cable but that didn’t do it either.
TV Audio Settings are close to nonexistent (pretty much just adjusting treble/bass, etc.). BluRay settings - no matter what I choose (RCA, auto, stereo, surround, etc.), I get the same result: sound through TV speakers only, nothing through the soundbar.

Thanks!
As far as I can tell, this sound bar requires the TV to be the HDMI switch. It is designed to work with a TV that has HDMI with ARC. Your TV only has one HDMI input and it is not an HDMI ARC input. So you can only have one device. You need a TV with multiple HDMI inputs and and one HDMI ARC input. Then you connect your sound bar to the TV via the ARC input.

This is the curse of all this, obsolescence. That describes your TV. So you need a different sound bar or TV.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
If I am understanding the op correctly. Tv has two hdmi ports. When you hook up roku to tv with the hdmi cable, the tv transmits sound back to the soundbar.
However if you unhook the roku and replace it with the dvd player, the tv is not transmitting the sound to the soundbar.
You might try a firmware update. When I looked at sharp support they do have a firmware update to address some audio issues. Don't know for sure it will help. But it's deff worth a try.

Loudogp250

Loudogp250

Audiophyte
Hi All,

Equipment:
  • Roku Express
How they’re connected:

Thanks!
Try this if you haven't?
On your Blu-ray player under settings go to audio settings. Make sure that "PCM" is selected. Under DSD Output Mode select "OFF:
You do not need to use the optical cable so remove it from your system.

Let me know if this works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis