Soundbar 2.1 integration into 7.1 system

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-822-K
Soundbar: Vizio VSB210WS

Currently operating with FL, FR, C, RR, RL. Can I input from the receiver's pre-outs to use the soundbar as the rear center and operate the sub from it?

Basically, I have a really nice wireless sub that I want to add into the system, but it gets it's signal from the soundbar. If the sub had a RCA
input, I wouldn't be asking the question I am right now...LOL

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
Even if it will take a signal from the receiver's pre-out, I bet you will get latency issues since the signal will be processed by the soundbar before it gets sent to the sub.

My advice, sell the Vizio and subwoofer and put that money toward a subwoofer intended to be used with an AVR.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Even if it will take a signal from the receiver's pre-out, I bet you will get latency issues since the signal will be processed by the soundbar before it gets sent to the sub.

My advice, sell the Vizio and subwoofer and put that money toward a subwoofer intended to be used with an AVR.
Hicks is right on the money.
I'd like to add that most likely even if Vizio sub had RCA inputs it would probably do more damage than adding anything to the sound.

Sell the set and start saving towards good sub, heck even Aperion has some decent ones ;)

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input. I just listed it on Craigslist. If I can get a pair of cabinet speakers similar to the KLH I used to have, I'd be happy. I'd still have them, if it wasn't for that danged house fire almost 6 years ago. I can't remember the model number, but they had 12" woofers in them, and really shook the house. If I can get another set like them, I would be fine without the subwoofer.

Correct me if I'm wrong...if I upgrade the front speakers, I'd have to upgrade the center speaker and match it to the mids and tweets from the front, right?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the input. I just listed it on Craigslist. If I can get a pair of cabinet speakers similar to the KLH I used to have, I'd be happy. I'd still have them, if it wasn't for that danged house fire almost 6 years ago. I can't remember the model number, but they had 12" woofers in them, and really shook the house. If I can get another set like them, I would be fine without the subwoofer.

Correct me if I'm wrong...if I upgrade the front speakers, I'd have to upgrade the center speaker and match it to the mids and tweets from the front, right?
If you're looking for something on the cheaper side with decent output, check craigslist for Cerwin Vega models. I'm sure they're gonna shoot me for saying that, but they shouldn't be too expensive and depending on the model, w may be similar to those you described.

You don't have to do anything, but generally it's preferred that you timbre match the front three for a more seamless front stage.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
If you're looking for something on the cheaper side with decent output, check craigslist for Cerwin Vega models. I'm sure they're gonna shoot me for saying that, but they shouldn't be too expensive and depending on the model, w may be similar to those you described.

You don't have to do anything, but generally it's preferred that you timbre match the front three for a more seamless front stage.
You're not in the Pittsburgh area with a set for sale, are you?

I'm asking because I just found a pair of Cerwin Vega VE12 speakers for $100 on Craigslist here.

I've had 5 replies to my ad for the soundbar and sub, with offers that would cover the purchase of those speakers. If I play it right, I can get a set and not put out any cash...which is the way I like to do business...

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
You're not in the Pittsburgh area with a set for sale, are you?

I'm asking because I just found a pair of Cerwin Vega VE12 speakers for $100 on Craigslist here.

I've had 5 replies to my ad for the soundbar and sub, with offers that would cover the purchase of those speakers. If I play it right, I can get a set and not put out any cash...which is the way I like to do business...
Nope, none for sale :) just an idea I had as they're a fairly regular speaker on my local craigslist. Whatever yo end up with, make sure you can demo them first if possible. Bring a cd or mp3 of some songs you know well, maybe some bass. Just make sure the speaker 1) works correctly and 2) has the sound you're looking for.

Shelling out little to no cash for an upgrade is the best way to go ;) I check craigslist every day for deals!

Edit: these are also in the pittsburgh area. VS-150's for $100 seems like decent deal. It's hard to tell how they look cosmetically, but they do have the grills which is good.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/3645106847.html

Last edited:
jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Edit: these are also in the pittsburgh area. VS-150's for $100 seems like decent deal. It's hard to tell how they look cosmetically, but they do have the grills which is good.
2 Speakers floor models big
I saw those, and saw the corner looks like part of it has either peeled up or it was hit. I'd be more interested in those if they were closer. The ones I mentioned are about 10 miles away, and the others are 20 miles away.

I had a pair of Optimus in the early 90's that were 15"...The house always shook with base, even when I had them on stands and off of the floor. My house is 113 years old with original windows that have original wavy glass...I can't imagine this old house handling that kind of bass. LOL

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Cerwin Vegas VE12--Great Shape

I just sold the soundbar and woofer, ended up getting the $25 less than I wanted, but he gave me a nice sounding set of KEF K-series book shelf speakers like the set I already have.

I'm getting the above speakers for $80, so that leaves me a set of speakers and an additional $45 in my pocket.

I'll hook those other speakers up in the basement to my hillbilly computer conversion...I took an old desktop computer, gutted it, cut a DIN hole in the front, and hooked a Pioneer car stereo that has a remote control up to the power supply. Now my workshop stereo will sound pretty good...better than the Sony Xplode 6X9s mounted in boxes that are down there now.

Anytime I can swing a deal where I end up ahead with cash in my pocket, I'm happy.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
JBL S 312 BE Speakers UPDATED PICS

Here are some JBL's that might be worth a look too. Couple of dings, but otherwise would be solid speakers..
I saw those when I picked up a used receiver about 2 weeks ago, and passed on them. The receiver I picked up from them overheated in no time, and killed the surround. The only sound that comes out of it is static now. It filled my house with the smell of the Lucas Wire Smoke Genie (if you've ever worked on a British car, you know what I'm talking about) LOL It worked for a day in my house...so it makes me wonder about the speakers he's selling. I wasted $60 on that purchase.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Cerwin Vegas VE12--Great Shape

I just sold the soundbar and woofer, ended up getting the $25 less than I wanted, but he gave me a nice sounding set of KEF K-series book shelf speakers like the set I already have.

I'm getting the above speakers for $80, so that leaves me a set of speakers and an additional $45 in my pocket.

I'll hook those other speakers up in the basement to my hillbilly computer conversion...I took an old desktop computer, gutted it, cut a DIN hole in the front, and hooked a Pioneer car stereo that has a remote control up to the power supply. Now my workshop stereo will sound pretty good...better than the Sony Xplode 6X9s mounted in boxes that are down there now.

Anytime I can swing a deal where I end up ahead with cash in my pocket, I'm happy.
Good deal! Be sure to post back about your impressions.

Lol, you cut a din hole in the front of your tower? That's hilarious, you should post a picture of that..

I saw those when I picked up a used receiver about 2 weeks ago, and passed on them. The receiver I picked up from them overheated in no time, and killed the surround. The only sound that comes out of it is static now. It filled my house with the smell of the Lucas Wire Smoke Genie (if you've ever worked on a British car, you know what I'm talking about) LOL It worked for a day in my house...so it makes me wonder about the speakers he's selling. I wasted $60 on that purchase.
Yikes, that sucks.. At least it was only $60 though, it could've been worse.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Lol, you cut a din hole in the front of your tower? That's hilarious, you should post a picture of that..
When I started, it looked like this...

When I was done, it looked like this. I tried cutting the plastic face to allow for the stereo, but it was too thick and the Dremel was melting it instead of cutting it, so I cut it off from the rest of the plastic, and covered the metal with Gorilla tape. The Dell symbol was salgaved from the part I cut off...to add to the whole Redneck look. LOL

It works, and works well. I found a Bluetooth adapter for it, and have since hooked it up so I can stream music from my phone. A buddy of mine wants me to make one for his work office...we're looking for a used computer case with a flip over cover that is large enough to cover the head unit so he can hide it.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
I also found that CV still sells the matching center channel speaker, and I can find them in the neighborhood of $60, new. So I won't have to worry about building a matching speaker, I can buy one for less than the time and material it would cost to make it.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Ok...I picked up the CV speakers for $80, and the guy threw in 4 Polk Audio RM101 speakers for free...all sound great with my system. I couldn't be happier considering I didn't have to dip into my savings or household budget to upgrade what I had.

Horse trading has become a bit of a hobby for me lately...I recently traded some old ammo and gun parts, and picked up an old ball and cap replica, traded that for an old .38, then traded that for 9mm. I'll stop once I get a .45 LOL All of that was done without having to dip into savings...I love it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis