R

Rtwinger

Audiophyte
New to this site and I appreciate any help you can offer to improve fullness of sound.

I have Definitive Technology 5.1 (small surrounds). While the sound quality is quite good the small speakers lack the fullness that you get from larger speakers.

How could I gain more room-filling sound. Tower speakers are not an option for this room.

Do I need to replace front speakers with larger bookshelf speakers?

Should I upgrade receiver to achieve a configuration that allows center, large R & L front speakers,4 surrounds and a sub?

If so, what receiver would allow this configuration.?

I assume larger bookshelf speakers should be Definitive Technology?

Thanks for any recommendations

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can you post the model speakers and sub, and also the model of receiver that you have? Hard to say what kind of upgrade you can get when we don't know what you have exactly.

R

Rtwinger

Audiophyte
Def Tech Pro 80 surrounds, Center Pro 100, Pro 80 sub

AVR is Sony STR DH540 (after successive premature failures of costly Pioneer and Denon, I decided to go cheap, since evidently they are disposable)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How big is the room? And budget? A subwoofer upgrade would surely be in order imo and I would agree to use larger mains.

R

Rtwinger

Audiophyte
Room is 550 sq ft, 8 ft flat ceiling

Solution could be accomplished in multiple phases. Initially I could spend $1500

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Room is 550 sq ft, 8 ft flat ceiling

Solution could be accomplished in multiple phases. Initially I could spend $1500
Are you looking to replace everything eventually? Like start with a good stereo pair and subwoofer? That can be accomplished on $1500 pretty nicely and you have the DefTechs still for surround duty, phantom mode for your center channel.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This Hsu Research 2.1 Hybrid package is legit good and that should be plenty of sub for your room. If you can swing it, this Hybrid 2 package is only $300 more and includes a center channel. Hsu make very good subwoofers and the CCB-8s are well reviewed speakers. Either one of those is a solid package. You have to pay shipping tho, so check that out before you decide.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis