Sound United Announces Acquisition of Classé Audio

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Polk BOOM, HEOS, and Boston Acoustics, today announced it has acquired Classé Audio, a leading maker of high-performance music and theater components. Classé Audio will join the Sound United family of brands, representing some of the most renowned names in the industry. Through this acquisition, Sound United will continue to drive its global growth and recognition, spearheading innovation in the category and increasing its footprint in the consumer audio space.

classe.jpg

Read: Sound United Announces Acquisition of Classé Audio

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm curious if this means that Classe may start being available at A4L, since A4L already has several of these partner brands.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think its bad for the mom and pop shops that deal with exclusive high end audio such as Classė.

Gene, out of curiosity, what exactly did Sound United actually spearhead? To me it looks like a big fish just swallowed a smaller fish. Did Sound United ever engineer anything in the audio world?

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think its bad for the mom and pop shops that deal with exclusive high end audio such as Classė.

Gene, out of curiosity, what exactly did Sound United actually spearhead? To me it looks like a big fish just swallowed a smaller fish. Did Sound United ever engineer anything in the audio world?
And, how is it a division of DEI holdings, a charity? Interesting groups.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Sound United is the entity that owns these brands. I assume the engineering staff for each brand is still self contained similar to how Harman engineers are still with Harman despite being bought out by Samsung. I do have a conference call planned after CES to find out more about the Sound United buyout of Classe and it's implications. I'm really hoping the design team from Denon will trickle in some great tech to the Classe brand and release a successor to my venerable AVP-A1HDCI PrePro with Immersive audio under the Classe brand.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's a charity? I see something that DEI holdings is owned by Charlesbank Capital....is that a charity? Didn't know about the connection with that creep Issa before, tho....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEI_Holdings
I don't know how to answer you but when you go the link on gene's page next to the audio labels just purchased is a Charity Foundation heading and DEI's f and forte for children. Maybe I should not assume DEI is a charity? Perhaps they also fund a charity?

http://www.soundunited.com/

---

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know how to answer you but when you go the link on gene's page next to the audio labels just purchased is a Charity Foundation heading and DEI's f and forte for children. Maybe I should not assume DEI is a charity? Perhaps they also fund a charity?

http://www.soundunited.com/

---
DEI looks to be a normal LLC registered in North Dakota from what I see (don't know if there are LLCs for non profits like a 501(c) organization either)..... but does seem they support that Forte charity mentioned.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm curious if this means that Classe may start being available at A4L, since A4L already has several of these partner brands.
Slipp, I just recently noticed that Acc4less is now offering Definitive products. As such, I would imagine that sooner or later the Classe brand will be available as well. Only time will tell.:):):)

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand_category/deftech/1.html

Interestingly, there is no Polk! Maybe it will come later who knows eh?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I took a quick look at the Classe website, it has an option where you can find your local dealer. I input the data and found a few B&M shops near me (within 5 mile radius), and not one of them was Best Buy, Fry's, or Crazy Bobs Discount Stereo Mart. Classe seems to cater to the $$$$$ higher end of the spectrum, someone who's building a room dedicated to home theatre. Just my 2 cents.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I took a quick look at the Classe website, it has an option where you can find your local dealer. I input the data and found a few B&M shops near me (within 5 mile radius), and not one of them was Best Buy, Fry's, or Crazy Bobs Discount Stereo Mart. Classe seems to cater to the $$$$$ higher end of the spectrum, someone who's building a room dedicated to home theatre. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, Classe has catered to the high end traditionally, that's why it might be interesting if it made it to A4L as many of its sister brands are already. You can tell from the name it's high end of course....it's Classe (one of the sillier high end brand names if you ask me).

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
They were known to be exploring buying Classé for about six weeks now. It was interesting but no-one took it too seriously, as at least three other suitors had expressed interest and backed out.

Sound United seems to want to move into the higher tier space, Classé is a perfect springboard for that. What is unknown at this point is where they will go with the brand ... new circuits and new products that return to Classé's roots or milking the brand for it's goodwill.

This story isn't over yet, although I am glad to see Classé at least has a new lease on life. Hopefully this is good news, but the answer to that will take time.

SU will also have to deal with (Denon's) HEOS, which is in danger of being banned for resale due to DENON's court shellacking versus SONOS who are now in a position to ask for an injunction. D&M Holdings (Denon & Marantz) is also likely to be in legal jeopardy for penalties which will affect SU's bottom line, as they are the current owners. So seeking other revenue sources (via resurrecting Classé) seems reasonable.

Classé (as a brand, and when correctly spelled with the e-acute) isn't "silly" in my opinion; maybe it's lost to native English speakers but as a company founded in Montreal PQ it's a french word that resonates in that language and reflects the company's heritage. Normally those criteria would be considered good practice by branding professionals.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was wondering who would bring up the spelling of their name. As a Canadian, I know all this .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I know about putting the little accent mark on the "e" but then I'd have to twiddle with the keyboard. But I still think it's a pretentious brand name, even in French. :)

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Yes I know about putting the little accent mark on the "e" but then I'd have to twiddle with the keyboard. But I still think it's a pretentious brand name, even in French. :)
I thought typing a forum post was twiddling with the keyboard. ;-)

In that case, you know it's pronounced Class-A not Class-E, then. Right?

In a world of pretentious brand names, it's far from the most egregious. At least it has meaning, related to the product's aspirations, function, and heritage.

I understand it's your opinion, and of course you are welcome to it. I just don't see many arguments that you could propose against the branding except that you simply don't like it. Which is fine. I dislike Rogue Audio because they use a Raven as the logo, a bird I despise because I've had to deal with them. Some of their products don't have that hated bird on them, just the brand name, which I could happily live with. But no raven is going to be in my home. Period.

Pretty much the same thing, although I have to say that I listened extensively to a Rogue Audio Spynx and didn't like it ... it wasn't bad, just un-involving. Something you can buy from a host of manufacturers, in other words I didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis