Sound suddenly gone from my Denon AVR-789

T

Tyrannorabbit

Audiophyte
Picture's going through from all sources (PS3, X360, DVD player), but no sound. Happened last night as I paused a movie on Netflix...came back and suddenly there was no sound. Tried it again about an hour later, got about thirty seconds of sound and then it winked out again - still, with a just-fine picture.

This morning I tried the TEST button - instead of cycling through all the speakers with a tone, it cycled through each of them with static. I unplugged and replugged all HDMI, restarted the whole thing, and just as it fired up the picture from the PS3 (after some time of seeming unsure about what it was getting) I got about a half second of deafeningly loud foghorn noise from the centre speaker. Still no actual, useful sound.

So I tried TESTing again and it thinks it's doing it, but I don't even get the static. The display on the front of the device thinks it's getting and sending 7.1 sound.

This thing's about 5 years old, it's served me well in that time but it won't kill me to replace it, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
If it's putting out sound on a test then I think the amp would be fine. I have read before about the input for the headphone jack getting clogged with dust which would then stop the sound. Try blowing that out and see what happens, my other suggestion would be to call Denon technical support to point you in the right direction. Also, about the static sound on the test, mine does the same I don't think that's an issue. Hope you get it resolved:) I'd be lost without my receiver.

T

Tyrannorabbit

Audiophyte
Thanks vecc76; I blew it out, nothing, called Denon tech support, he ran me through a bunch of things but it looks like the amps in there are toast. Looking around for a replacement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis