Sound setup - Projector screen in the middle of the living room

tanffn

tanffn

Audiophyte
Hi!
I'd love to hear your feedback and plausibility of the attached setup.

The screen is 120" diagonal (16:9) placed ~12.5 feet (3.7m) away from the sofa (calculated using).
It's a big room, I am not sure how to place the speakers and what audio solutions are available.
Also are the distances OK?

In the drawing speakers are marked in a Red S and projector and screen are marked in red as well.
In Yellow are the room measurements (in cm).

Thank you!

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Is there a wall behind that screen or is it a drop down from the ceiling in the middle of the room

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think this would be extremely challenging if not downright impossible to deliver a good HT experience with both Audio in Video. If I were you, I'd swap "screen" location and couch (back of couch facing dining table) and place big (as big as you could afford) TV in that nook on top of your chart. That should simplify MANY MANY issues. I'd also say that using a projector in a non-treated (read: very dark) room is nearly pointless.
@BMXTRIX - your thoughts?

tanffn

tanffn

Audiophyte
Ideally @BoredSysAdmin you'd be right!
But I need to keep this area as multi-purpose, most of the time as a living room and only a small fraction of the time to watch movies.

tanffn

tanffn

Audiophyte
I know it won't be able to compete with a good dedicated setup but the question is can I make it useable/worth the money or scrap this whole idea.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hi and welcome. How about a real pic of the room

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JMO unless you flip that layout around it will be a waste of time

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you @afterlife2!
I can send photos during construction :)
It's about trial and error. I'd look at some YouTube videos and scan some pictures online. My PJ is in my room. It's the only place I had room for it in my apt. I started without a screen and just used my wall, which I thinks looks good. I eventually bought a 100 inch cheapo screen earlier March that I need to put together one day. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While you will 100% have to get those windows fully covered and I would strongly recommend a darker color on the walls/ceiling than 'white', you should be fine to set things up this way. Your audio will have to be in-ceiling angled speakers. Something which can push the sound towards the listening position. There are a number of different makes/models out there and you should choose accordingly.

I would do nothing more than a 5.1 audio setup in your space. You will have to find a good location for your components as well. Don't forget to run conduit between the projector and AV receiver location for future upgrades. Power, and other wiring will also need to be carefully considered and put in place before drywall is up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am considering order this 100 inch 16:9 projector screen with tripod for indoor or outdoor use
Are you a bot? Why are you posting this a thousand times? Once is enuf!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis