M

MSEQUEIRA

Enthusiast
In the next week i'm going to buy my first HT system, its going to be a yamaha rx-v659, axiom m3's, and stf-1. to start off with... now i was watching a dvd on my tv last night and when the actors talked it was quite so i turned it up, but when the action started it was crazy loud compared to the voices. Is this going to be the case with my new setup? what causes that and how can i prevent it?

thanks for any input.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that's how it will be with your new setup. Movies are made to be very dynamic, with the normal dialogue being around 20-30dB quieter than the explosions and such. If you don't want the dynamics (believe me, you'll start to appreciate this), many receivers have a "midnight mode" where dynamic compression is applied to the signal to decrease the dynamics allowing you to avoid those really load peaks. Obviously this is good when you're trying to watch a movie and you don't want to wake anyone up. But when you want to get the whole experience, I would recommend that you leave the dynamics intact.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Center channel

When you add the Axiom center channel to your system, it will also help with the dialog. It will allow you to tweak the volume level of the center channel (dialog) independantly of the mains and sub (action)

A

Audiacc

Junior Audioholic
if midnight mode is not there you can use a stand alone compressor they use in recording studios to achieve the same, probably in more controlled manner.
Also wenn playing DVDs from computer there is an option in DVD software to compress signal before it leaves computer.

M

MSEQUEIRA

Enthusiast
thats guys for the quick response. i'm ordering my stuff on friday (pay day) ;-)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis