sound quality problem on whatfedale s77 speakers

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
hello everyone, i have 2 sets of wharfedale s77 speakers, one of which sound off, like its missing something. in comparison to my other set, they sound not so great. it lacks between mids and highs, if that makes any sense. all are the excact same speaker, same spec mids tweeters and woofers. what could be wrong? ive replaced the tweeters because they were not working, but the sound still seems not what it should be from a wharfedale speaker. could it be a bad crossover? bad mid ranges? any help is greatly appreciated

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
Just how do you conduct your comparison?
im in a 12x10 room with the speakers stacked on top of each other. one speaker from each pair on each side. i turn the first set off, and listen to the second, then vise versa. obvious difference in clarity and sound quality. i swapped the better sounding speakers to the top and still no change.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Did you check to make sure you didnt rewire the replacement out of phase?

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
Did you check to make sure you didnt rewire the replacement out of phase?
the positive and negative are correct, if thats what youre asking. there is sound out of the tweeters. i tested the speakers with one of the tweeters from the good speakers, and they still seem to be missing something. im lost. could it be the mid or a crossover?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Did these speakers ever all work correctly? Have you had these since they were new?

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
no, i havent. the pair that sound great were originally my fathers which he bought new, they always work good. the pair im having issues with i recently bought. they sound significantly different yet its the same speaker model. the ones i bought recently seem to miss some sound somewhere, maybe inbetween the mids and highs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
the positive and negative are correct, if thats what youre asking. there is sound out of the tweeters. i tested the speakers with one of the tweeters from the good speakers, and they still seem to be missing something. im lost. could it be the mid or a crossover?
Is that the way it is in the other speaker? Some designs intentionally wire out of phase. Double check the other speakers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Let us be clear about one thing. Are those replacement tweeter factory or just bought on line. If the latter that is your problem.

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
Let us be clear about one thing. Are those replacement tweeter factory or just bought on line. If the latter that is your problem.
the tweeters are not factory, BUT when i put a tweeter from my working speakers in, they still dont sound right.... thats where im confused. yes the factory tweeter is going to sound way better, but i couldnt find any used or new. im stuck..

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
i just unplugged the tweeters on one speaker on each set, and there is a noticable difference... what could it be at that point?

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
just put the aftermarket tweeter in the good sounding speaker, sounds great. i dont think its the wetter. maybe a crossover or a mid?

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
ive swapped every part from each pair to the other, still sounds the same. ive narrowed it down to the crossover board thingy lol. i wouldnt even know what is what, anyone know what i would have to replace?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ive swapped every part from each pair to the other, still sounds the same. ive narrowed it down to the crossover board thingy lol. i wouldnt even know what is what, anyone know what i would have to replace?
You can not just buy a tweeter and replace a factory tweeter.

I suspect someone modified the crossover as it did not sound right when the replaced the tweeter, and then later put back the broken ones.

You need to see if there are differences in the crossovers between the two pairs.

Anyhow I have a feeling those speakers are not going to sound right again.

D

daseraces13

Enthusiast
You can not just buy a tweeter and replace a factory tweeter.

I suspect someone modified the crossover as it did not sound right when the replaced the tweeter, and then later put back the broken ones.

You need to see if there are differences in the crossovers between the two pairs.

Anyhow I have a feeling those speakers are not going to sound right again.
well i replaced the tweeter, they were bliwn when i got them. closest spec icould get to the factory. but thats what i thought ab the crossovers. and why do you think the speakers wont sound riggt again?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

well i replaced the tweeter, they were bliwn when i got them. closest spec icould get to the factory. but thats what i thought ab the crossovers. and why do you think the speakers wont sound riggt again?
Because you don't know how to find the problem and I can't do it from here.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
A frequency generator app would help you troubleshoot. If not, you can find CDs that have individual frequency tones.

Is the issue a difference in level, sound quality or both? Are you prepared to remove crossovers? If so, you can use a multimeter to measure resistance of individual components. Measure without the driver connected. Best if you can compare to known good crossover. Good caps will usually show some varying resistance. Inductors and resistors will have fixed values. If they read zero or infinite, they are likely bad. When caps are across another component, will have to unsolder and measure each individually.

Hope this helps!

Ww

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis