sound dampening materials

hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Audiophyte
In the process of drawing/planning my entertainment rm. It will be in the basement and the family and kitchen will be right above it, and i would like to keep as much sound from traveling through the ceiling.I know i could stuff fiberglass insulation in between the joists double up the sheetrock on the ceiling. What are some other alternatives that some of you have tried, was it worth it? costly? let me know what you have tried.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bass from downstairs

I think the extra insulation you suggested will work well for most frequencies. There are also some specialty drywall and installation techniques but they can get costly.

Your biggest problem will probably be the low frequency bass from the downstairs HT. If you are willing to turn down the sub a little when necessary then you can probably avioid the specialty drywall.

T

t3031999

Audioholic
The insulation between the joists will help alot.

there is also this stuff called green glue from http://www.audioalloy.com that works wonderfully when sandwiched between 2 pieces of drywall. I recommend the 5/8" x-rated sheetrock for this.

Also you could do a floating ceiling with risc clips and hat channel.

or you could do all of the above.

is it worth it? that is up o you

hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Audiophyte
t3031999 said:
The insulation between the joists will help alot.

there is also this stuff called green glue from http://www.audioalloy.com that works wonderfully when sandwiched between 2 pieces of drywall. I recommend the 5/8" x-rated sheetrock for this.

Also you could do a floating ceiling with risc clips and hat channel.

or you could do all of the above.

is it worth it? that is up o you
Thanks for that link I checked it out didnt have time to read everything about it have you ever used this product or no someone that has. looks like i would need 2cases of it i might pay $177 a case if it really works. Will have to check the budget EH?

T

t3031999

Audioholic
I used this on the walls of my listening room and I think it worked very well. I have never tried it on a ceiling but I would imagine it would have similar results.

I actually know the chemist that created green glue and believe me he tested the stuff way more than I ever would have. He basically built several rooms inside his shop to test the stuff in multiple environments and with multiple building materials.

He frequents avsforum as Brian Ravnaas so you could try sending him a pm if you have very specific questions. Hopefully he will get back to you, he is a very busy person.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Short of building a true room in a room, using green glue with 2 layers of dryall over an insulated cavity is about as good as you're going to get (unless you want to do 3 layers :D ) You can also do RSIC-1 clips and hat Channel but that's just as expensive. Doing both is very nice (and very expensive)

And yes. This stuff works.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis