SOS: TV to Receiver through Cat 6

C

CHRISAKATRACE

Audiophyte
I'd like to connect my sources directly to the TV, then use the TV's digital optical output to run to the Receiver for the Atmos sound. My setup has a TV with a Cat 6 cable and a coaxial cable near the tv that runs through the wall to the receiver. I will connect my sources directly to the TV, then pass the audio from the TV via the optical output to either the ethernet or cat 6 then to the receiver. I'm assuming that I will need a converter at both ends. Thoughts?

PS. I don't want to connect the sources to the receiver, then pass the video to the TV, since I don't want to run a new cable and I have read that I can't passthrough HDR via CAT 6 or ethernet, but I did read that I can pass through Atmos audio.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd like to connect my sources directly to the TV, then use the TV's digital optical output to run to the Receiver for the Atmos sound. My setup has a TV with a Cat 6 cable and a coaxial cable near the tv that runs through the wall to the receiver. I will connect my sources directly to the TV, then pass the audio from the TV via the optical output to either the ethernet or cat 6 then to the receiver. I'm assuming that I will need a converter at both ends. Thoughts?

PS. I don't want to connect the sources to the receiver, then pass the video to the TV, since I don't want to run a new cable and I have read that I can't passthrough HDR via CAT 6 or ethernet, but I did read that I can pass through Atmos audio.
To do that you need a 4K TV and a TV with eARC and a receiver that has eARC and you will need to run another cable. You need a high spec HDMI cable. If the distance to the TV is more than 12 feet and especially more than 25 ft. then I recommend a hybrid optical cable and also using a voltage inserter to power the cable. A standard Toslink optical cable will not do what you want. For 25 ft or more a hybrid optical cable, or powered cable is required. I strongly recommend the hybrid optical HDMI cable though.

Obviously when you did your install, you did not run your cables in conduit. That was a massive error. You never run any AV cable through walls without it being in conduit. Tech tubes are the cheapest solution. If you want a decent installation that will stand the test of time, then you need to run conduit from your receiver to carry all in wall cables.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis