sony x800 setup question

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
Hi
i have my x800 hooked up to my dn1080 with 2 hdmi cables (video +audio, or i could do 1 hdmi and coax) and i mainly intend to use it as a cd player. The receiver also connected to a sony bravia tv. My question is how could i turn the blu-ray player on with the amp without turn the tv on and play the audio cd. Currently i turn on the receiver and i managed to setup that it doesn't turn on the tv, but when i turn on the x800 it turns the tv on... so i start the cd then turn the tv off (at 1st this was turned everything off, but i managed to turn this setting off)then i switch the receiver to cd at every of these steps i get the sound muted for a few seconds. damn i miss my manual amp where i decided what i turned on or listened and it wasn't so ceremonious. then of course i have to choose stereo as well manually. i shouldn't spend an hour of my life on things like this when i just wanted to put a cd on.(i might get rid the x800 as other features has no use to me and an old sony cd player would do exactly what i tell it to do)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Turn HDMI-CEC(BRAVIA SYNC) off in all of your devices. It will make a mess of things. Use just the #1 HDMI output on the UBP-X800 for audio and video into the BD/DVD input of the DN-STR1080 for BDs and DVDs. In the UBP-X800 System Settings, set the HDMI output at Auto. In the Audio Settings, the Digital Audio Output should already be set at Auto. Connect a coaxial digital cable from the UBP-X800 into the DN-STR1080's SA-CD/CD coaxial input. The coaxial input should be set to SA-CD/CD by default. Set the sound mode for the SA-CD/CD input at 2CH Stereo.

With these settings, you can turn on the receiver and set it to the SA-CD/CD input and then turn on the UBP-X800 to play CDs without the TV coming on. With the SA-CD/CD input set to the 2CH STEREO mode, you can just play a CD without having to change the sound mode anymore. Switch to the BD/DVD input on the DN-STR1080 and turn on the TV to watch movie discs using the UBP-X800. You'll change the sound mode here as needed based on the track in play to get the desired sound. Nice setup, enjoy!

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
Turn HDMI-CEC(BRAVIA SYNC) off in all of your devices. It will make a mess of things. Use just the #1 HDMI output on the UBP-X800 for audio and video into the BD/DVD input of the DN-STR1080 for BDs and DVDs. In the UBP-X800 System Settings, set the HDMI output at Auto. In the Audio Settings, the Digital Audio Output should already be set at Auto. Connect a coaxial digital cable from the UBP-X800 into the DN-STR1080's SA-CD/CD coaxial input. The coaxial input should be set to SA-CD/CD by default. Set the sound mode for the SA-CD/CD input at 2CH Stereo.

With these settings, you can turn on the receiver and set it to the SA-CD/CD input and then turn on the UBP-X800 to play CDs without the TV coming on. With the SA-CD/CD input set to the 2CH STEREO mode, you can just play a CD without having to change the sound mode anymore. Switch to the BD/DVD input on the DN-STR1080 and turn on the TV to watch movie discs using the UBP-X800. You'll change the sound mode here as needed based on the track in play to get the desired sound. Nice setup, enjoy!
Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. i ended up turning off hdmi-cec and the equivalent settings on the x800 (mutual remote control if i remember correctly), but then i had to use 2 remote controls. so i turned it back on the receiver and tv and they work fine, the x800 cec turned off and it's remote still adjusts the volume. there is also settings to not turn off if the other connected hdmi device goes to standby. I will see how i like it from here.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You will have a few more options available to you using devices of the same manufacturer compared to using different manufacturers for every device.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis