Sony X700 Dolby Vision?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have the X800 but now that I have a Dolby vision TV I want a 4k player to match. I heard the X700 though you have to turn the Dolby Vision on and off or it outputs Dolby Vision all the time on everything? If that's the case I don't want it. What would be a suggestion for a Dolby Vision 4k player in this general price range?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Absolutely astounding that Sony have not implemented auto-detect for Dolby Vision for the X800M2. For me that's a real turn-off as a replacement for my old Oppo BDP-93EU as a universal player with SACD support.

This is a year old thread, so no cigar!

So that is the case with both the 700 and 800? I mean really with Sony?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So that is the case with both the 700 and 800? I mean really with Sony?

It's the same for the X700. I view it as a defect/bug that Sony won't or can't fix.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's the same for the X700.
That is completely unacceptable. So it's either these 2 pain it the butt players or overpriced Panasonic players. UB820 499.99 or 9000 999.99

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What's the deal? So you put the disc in, go into settings and turn on Dolby vision. Takes a few seconds to do, geez man. :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
What's the deal? So you put the disc in, going into settings and turn on Dolby vision. Takes a few seconds to do, geez man. :p
I don't like it, I mean I think it's pretty ridiculous. How hard could it be to implement auto detect? Then it's always a guessing have on what has Dolby Atmos Vision. You have to check every time.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That is completely unacceptable. So it's either these 2 pain it the butt players or overpriced Panasonic players. UB820 499.99 or 9000 999.99

The pickings for people like me that want a modern universal player that also supports SACD are getting pretty slim and expensive. Personally I'm only going to use it as a transport and thus any DAC in it will be unused, and I wont pay much more for functionality I've no intention to use at all.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The pickings for people like me that want a modern universal player that also supports SACD are getting pretty slim and expensive. Personally I'm only going to use it as a transport and thus any DAC in it will be unused, and I wont pay much more for functionality I've no intention to use at all.
See my old x800 is perfect, 4k Blu Ray, SACD and DVD-AUDIO but no Dolby Vision. Only thing is missing. I'd have to keep it just for DVD-Audio because the new Sony players only do SACD.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I don't like it, I mean I think it's pretty ridiculous. How hard could it be to implement auto detect? Then it's always a guessing have on what has Dolby Atmos Vision. You have to check every time.

Was just poking fun bro, meant no harm but yeah I Do feel the same about having to go into settings to click on Dolby vision. So I just leave it on. The thing that really pi$$'s me off about Sony's X700, it's a really good 4K player, except for the freezing up every now and then. But I have read reviews on Panasonic supposedly top dog 1k plus players freezing up also not as many bad reviews on them as the Sony's and others but hey they still freeze up while playing a disc.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Was just poking fun bro, meant no harm but yeah I Do feel the same about having to go into settings the click on Dolby vision. So I just leave it on. The thing that really pi$$'s me off about Sony's X700, it's a really good 4K player, except for the freezing up every now and then. But I have read reviews on Panasonic supposedly top dog 1k plus players freezing up also not as many bad reviews on them as the Sony's and others but hey they still freeze up while playing a disc.
Oh no your good, no worries. Just annoyed not much good choice in 4k players. It really does spell the end of physical media. I'm actually ok with that except for one thing, lossless audio. No streaming service does Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA-HD. You get that into steaming and I don't care about Blu Ray or physical media.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I stream like everyone else, but when I like a movie I'll buy the 4K as I'am sure you guys know to get the full HDR experience nothing as of yet that I know of can out do a really well recorded 4K disc. Plus I just like owning my movie's. I should mention my X700 only freezes up on a 4K disc never a regular Blu-ray disc, weird. Also I should mention I went through like 4 or 5 of the X700 hoping to get one that didn't freeze up but they all did. I called into Sony CS, they do know about it, the fix is to just unplug it wait about 10-15 seconds plug it back in reboots up then all is good. I was thinking maybe it would stop all together but so far the unplug thing works it's just a hassle. And I've come to find it only freezes up on the newer 4K disc. I do have older 4K disc it never freezes up on. So maybe poor QC on some disc releases or defects who knows.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis