Sony VPL-HS51A Cineza LCD Projector Review!

D

Driver_King

Enthusiast
Bump...

I know this is a really old thread but I need some opinions here. I can get a Sony HS51A with a new bulb for $800 shipped. Would a Panasonic PT-AX200U be a better choice? What is the best projector I can get in the range do you think? I like what I've seen about the HS51A. I'm actually upgrading from my ISF calibrated Sony VPL-VW10HT projector because of the extreme lack of black detail on it. I moved from CRT blacks to virtually no blacks and am really wanting my black levels back! I have a completely light controlled room by the way if that helps any. Thanks!:cool:

D

Driver_King

Enthusiast
I'm also getting a 92" screen to go in my bedroom setup.:cool:It is a white vinyl screen and I'm not sure if that has to do with anything.:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I know this is a really old thread but I need some opinions here. I can get a Sony HS51A with a new bulb for $800 shipped. Would a Panasonic PT-AX200U be a better choice? What is the best projector I can get in the range do you think? I like what I've seen about the HS51A. I'm actually upgrading from my ISF calibrated Sony VPL-VW10HT projector because of the extreme lack of black detail on it. I moved from CRT blacks to virtually no blacks and am really wanting my black levels back! I have a completely light controlled room by the way if that helps any. Thanks!:cool:
I am far from being the expert on this projector or the Panny and tradeoffs.
Don't forget that Sony is only a 720p projector, from briefly reading Clint's post. Not sure if you are going BluRay or not, but today, buying a 720 may be a mistake no matter what. The larger the picture, the more you need the higher resolutions.

You may want to check out some older posts on this projector at AVS
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=24

and search for both projectors. Some of those guys live and breath these:D

That vinyl screen, who make it?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis