Sony UPP-X800MII is not delivering GAPLESS play?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I burnt a 5.1 FLAC 24/96 DVD R of The Seattle Symphony's performance of The Firebird. I attempted to play it today on my aforementioned Sony. And, while it plays the DVD it does not play it gaplessly as does my OPPO-205, even though I have set it to play gaplessly. What am I missing here?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the recording still created "tracks" of some sort? What software did you record with and how?

S

sterling shoote

So the recording still created "tracks" of some sort? What software did you record with and how?
yes, the disks plays but bumps movements. Same disc played via OPPO no problem. I am wondering if issue is the player or DAC? The Sony is set for gapless. I burnt the disc on a laptop burner.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes, the disks plays but bumps movements. Same disc played via OPPO no problem. I am wondering if issue is the player or DAC? The Sony is set for gapless. I burnt the disc on a laptop burner.
Perhaps its simply the file size the Sony can't handle? Did the software create just a single track or did it actually create tracks that your Oppo can play gaplessly?

S

sterling shoote

Perhaps its simply the file size the Sony can't handle? Did the software create just a single track or did it actually create tracks that your Oppo can play gaplessly?
Yes created tracks.

S

sterling shoote

Is there a particular reason you need to create tracks? Like file size limits?
I'm not creating tracks. Here's a summary: I purchased a 5.1 24/96 download from Acoustic Sounds of The Firebird. I opened the zip file and then sent it to DVD Drive, which copied the file to disc. That disc plays on my OPPO without a hitch, gaplessly; but, play from Sony is not right. Although there is no gap between tracks, the tracks bump, which produces a momentary distracting sound from track to track. That's it. When I set up the Sony I could swear that there was a "gapless" setting but now when in set up mode I can not find such a setting. What I am thinking is that perhaps a software update eliminated the feature.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
It's been awhile since I've burned a CD, but I seem to remember you also have to tell the burner that it is gapless. I've used DB Poweramp for all of my burning, and I seem to recall that there was box to check when burning to tell it there isn't any gaps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not creating tracks. Here's a summary: I purchased a 5.1 24/96 download from Acoustic Sounds of The Firebird. I opened the zip file and then sent it to DVD Drive, which copied the file to disc. That disc plays on my OPPO without a hitch, gaplessly; but, play from Sony is not right. Although there is no gap between tracks, the tracks bump, which produces a momentary distracting sound from track to track. That's it. When I set up the Sony I could swear that there was a "gapless" setting but now when in set up mode I can not find such a setting. What I am thinking is that perhaps a software update eliminated the feature.
I thought you recorded a live concert, so the tracks are inherent in the recording it seems. Maybe Huey's suggestion of looking to a recording mode for a solution.

S

sterling shoote

I thought you recorded a live concert, so the tracks are inherent in the recording it seems. Maybe Huey's suggestion of looking to a recording mode for a solution.
Since I have the file now on a thumb drive I am going to copy it to DVD Drive and test.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On Page 35 of your Operating Instructions manual, read the following:

Note on playback operations of Ultra HD
Blu-ray/BD/DVD
Some playback operations of Ultra HD Blu-
ray/BD/DVD may be intentionally set by
software producers. Since this player plays
Ultra HD Blu-ray/BD/DVD according to the
disc contents the software producers
designed, some playback features may not
be available

S

sterling shoote

On Page 35 of your Operating Instructions manual, read the following:

Note on playback operations of Ultra HD
Blu-ray/BD/DVD
Some playback operations of Ultra HD Blu-
ray/BD/DVD may be intentionally set by
software producers. Since this player plays
Ultra HD Blu-ray/BD/DVD according to the
disc contents the software producers
designed, some playback features may not
be available
it’s not a commercial disc. It’s one I burnt from a 24/96 FLAC download and it plays gapless your via my OPPO’s DAC.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
it’s not a commercial disc. It’s one I burnt from a 24/96 FLAC download and it plays gapless your via my OPPO’s DAC.
I have the Sony UBP-X800 player and I noticed it won't play all the DVD-As that I burnt. My OPPO players usually will play most if not all.
Bear in mind that the Sonys don't have the option for gapless playing possibility while the OPPO UDP-205 and model UDP-203 do.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

I have the Sony UBP-X800 player and I noticed it won't play all the DVD-As that I burnt. My OPPO players usually will play most if not all.
Bear in mind that the Sonys don't have the option for gapless playing possibility while the OPPO UDP-205 and model UDP-203 do.
Further experimentation, this time playing the music from a thumb drive, movements again bumped or cross faded from one to the next. No problem on the OPPO. I now wonder if the problem is Marantz NR1200 DAC not being able to sync to input?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Further experimentation, this time playing the music from a thumb drive, movements again bumped or cross faded from one to the next. No problem on the OPPO. I now wonder if the problem is Marantz NR1200 DAC not being able to sync to input?
If you still have the problem, I would think that the problem is rather caused by the Sony configuration, not the Marantz NR 1200. I may be wrong too.

S

sterling shoote

If you still have the problem, I would think that the problem is rather caused by the Sony configuration, not the Marantz NR 1200. I may be wrong too.
I might be able to test but right now I am suspecting I now know the reason Acoustic Sounds dropped their download operation, a popular player can’t do their downloads gaplessly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis