Sony UBP-X800 4K Player

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wired it into my secondary system with it replacing the old Sony BDP-S360. The unit is relatively heavy and feels very solid in build. I watched the first Blade Runner flick on Blu ray and my first impression is " wow this player is really good!! ". First impressions aew really favorable.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Its too early for me to say how this unit will do but so far so good. The breathy haunting vocals of The Cowboy Junkie's Maro Timmins was conveyed accurately as was the rest of the instrumentation. The soundstage was very detailed with instruments well placed.

I did play the original Blade Runner on BLURAY which is a very dark movie with lots of night and dark scenes. Black resolution was excellent in these dark scenes with good shadow detail.

I don't own any 4K discs as of yet but I will remedy this situation in the near future.

(I forgot to add this)

This player is equipped with the "Grace Notes" App so when I play a CD, it displays the album cover, tracklist, and name of songs. Its really kind of cool. I had to turn on the app as its default is off.

Last edited:
D

Don Walker

Audiophyte
So far I am truly happy with this purchase. It does what it is supposed too and it does it well. I have no need for the apps or other items. I just want a great player that lasts and Sony’s have done that for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Crimson

King Crimson

Audiophyte
I bought a 4K 55 inch TV for Christmas (for Mom ;)) so of course we relocated the old Sony Blu-ray and got the 4K capable Sony UBP X800. I was sold on it after viewing two 4K UHD movies but as a BIG PLUS discovering it's ability to play SACD's, and its awesome audio capabilities. I am a 2.0 audio person for more years than imaginable and this machine is solidly built, Network/Streaming ready, HiRes audio, for 200.00 on sale. I was just about to buy another SACD (entry level) for 1000.00. This is my first post on here mostly into audio, collecting vinyl, retired now to pursue my passion even more.
My system today:
Turntable :VPI scout jr. with Grado Reference Platinum cartridge, also Luxman PD 264 with Shure M97 [both MM] , Cambridge Audio Azur 851N network streamer, pre-amp, and DAC, phono pre-amp:Vincent Audio PHO701 (vac tube), Integrated amp: Jolida JD 302CRC power tubes (4) currently EL34's 50-75 watts, Jolida Glass FX DAC (vac tubes also), and a 70's vintage Pioneer FM tuner.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought a 4K 55 inch TV for Christmas (for Mom ;)) so of course we relocated the old Sony Blu-ray and got the 4K capable Sony UBP X800. I was sold on it after viewing two 4K UHD movies but as a BIG PLUS discovering it's ability to play SACD's, and its awesome audio capabilities. I am a 2.0 audio person for more years than imaginable and this machine is solidly built, Network/Streaming ready, HiRes audio, for 200.00 on sale. I was just about to buy another SACD (entry level) for 1000.00. This is my first post on here mostly into audio, collecting vinyl, retired now to pursue my passion even more.
My system today:
Turntable :VPI scout jr. with Grado Reference Platinum cartridge, also Luxman PD 264 with Shure M97 [both MM] , Cambridge Audio Azur 851N network streamer, pre-amp, and DAC, phono pre-amp:Vincent Audio PHO701 (vac tube), Integrated amp: Jolida JD 302CRC power tubes (4) currently EL34's 50-75 watts, Jolida Glass FX DAC (vac tubes also), and a 70's vintage Pioneer FM tuner.
Have you attempted to play multi-channel SACDs from HDMI output? Also, does this Sony player have 2 HDMI outputs, and will it process for HDR?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you attempted to play multi-channel SACDs from HDMI output? Also, does this Sony player have 2 HDMI outputs, and will it process for HDR?
It does have two HDMI outputs, the main one carrying audio/video and the 2nd carrying audio only. It will process HDR.

S

sterling shoote

It does have two HDMI outputs, the main one carrying audio/video and the 2nd carrying audio only. It will process HDR.
How does multi-channel SACD sound to you 3db from the Sony Player. If you have experience with the OPPO 205 multi-channel SACD, could you say these players sound the same or different in some way. I am thinking about the 205 almost expressly for multi-channel SACD through RCA output to my Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel preamp. Of course, I could get a similar result with the 203; but, with the 205, I can get multi-channel audio from my computer to the Sony preamp from either usb or HDMI from computer to player and then, RCA to preamp.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How does multi-channel SACD sound to you 3db from the Sony Player. If you have experience with the OPPO 205 multi-channel SACD, could you say these players sound the same or different in some way. I am thinking about the 205 almost expressly for multi-channel SACD through RCA output to my Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel preamp. Of course, I could get a similar result with the 203; but, with the 205, I can get multi-channel audio from my computer to the Sony preamp from either usb or HDMI from computer to player and then, RCA to preamp.
Embarrassingly enough, I dont own any multi-channel SACDs as I'm an old codger that prefers music in stereo. Movie soundtracks sound really good to my ears. I have no experience with Oppo but from the comparisons I read on other forums between the Sony and Oppo, Sony holds its own on the audio/video aspect but concedes to the Oppo in the build quality. Something has to givecas the Sony is far less expensive. Time will tell hiw yhe Sony fairs but at the moment, Im very happy with its performance. :)

chrisskylin3

chrisskylin3

Enthusiast
The X800 has excellent build quality, very solid for a brand not synonymous with high end gear. I saw one at Costco. I'll probably get one when I get a 4K screen. No point going Oppo for me, as I use Yamaha receiver for decoding.

S

sterling shoote

Embarrassingly enough, I dont own any multi-channel SACDs as I'm an old codger that prefers music in stereo. Movie soundtracks sound really good to my ears. I have no experience with Oppo but from the comparisons I read on other forums between the Sony and Oppo, Sony holds its own on the audio/video aspect but concedes to the Oppo in the build quality. Something has to givecas the Sony is far less expensive. Time will tell hiw yhe Sony fairs but at the moment, Im very happy with its performance. :)
Thanks for your input, sincerely. Seems for a little more money, I could replace my 18 year old 5.1 preamp, getting a new one with HDMI audio input, and then buy a Sony player, or for a little less money I can keep my analog multi channel pre amp and go with the OPPO 205. I speculate the latter route will be better in all manner that better can be discerned, since it's only the ability to enjoy multi-channel SACD that is driving my consideration for new equipment.

S

sterling shoote

The X800 has excellent build quality, very solid for a brand not synonymous with high end gear. I saw one at Costco. I'll probably get one when I get a 4K screen. No point going Oppo for me, as I use Yamaha receiver for decoding.
Yes, you have an HDMI audio input on your receiver which I do not have, requiring me to get one of the OPPO's, or replace my 18 year old preamp with a new one. I looked at a few of those the other day. I looked at Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, and even a Sony ES receiver; but, I've got to tell ya, none impressed me. I guess I'm spoiled on the sort of build quality that does not appear to exist today, at least in reasonably priced products. No doubt though, if I had HDMI inputs on my preamp, I'd probably spring for the Sony. It appears to be a really good value.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your input, sincerely. Seems for a little more money, I could replace my 18 year old 5.1 preamp, getting a new one with HDMI audio input, and then buy a Sony player, or for a little less money I can keep my analog multi channel pre amp and go with the OPPO 205. I speculate the latter route will be better in all manner that better can be discerned, since it's only the ability to enjoy multi-channel SACD that is driving my consideration for new equipment.
If I were in your shoes, I would spring for the Oppo as well from a cost's saving perspective. If you were getting into HT, then option A would have been the route to go.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis